Would this be a thermostat issue?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Browning

Would this be a thermostat issue?

Post by Browning »

2005 Vibe base model

When it's cold out, it seems like it takes forever to get good heat from the vents, and to get up to operating temp via the gauge. Almost impossible from sitting idle. For instance, this morning:

14 degrees, I start it up at 6:30am. Let it run in the driveway until right around 6:45. When we get in it the gauge has barely moved, lukewarm heat, still freezing in the cabin. Drive two miles, half of which at around 50mph, the other half 35mph. Arrived at my fiancee's work and it's halfway or so to normal temps via the gauge. Halfway back home it reaches the halfway mark, normal reading on the gauge and the heat starts blazing and my son and I finally thaw out lol.

Once the car reaches operating temp we never lose heat, the gauge stays where it's supposed to be, etc. Blower blows great, and every thing else seems to be in working order, fluids are full, etc. My sister also owns a vibe and hers doesn't take as long. She lets hers warm up in the driveway and when she gets in it, it's ready to go.

I suspect the thermostat may be sticking open a little but my fiancee, seems to think it's "probably normal" and changing out the thermostat won't change anything. What are your thoughts? February marks the 2 year mark of ownership and the only thing we've done is change oil, cabin filter, air filter. No issues with the car except this slow to heat thing.
jayoldschool

Re: Would this be a thermostat issue?

Post by jayoldschool »

Low on coolant, or plugged heater core are possibilities, as well. Typically, a stuck open stat will give you heat when the car is idling in the driveway, but will overcool as you drive.

It's not normal, though, for sure, your GF is wrong (but don't tell her that). It was -28C yesterday morning here. I pulled out of the driveway, and had heat (and a couple notches on the gauge) within a couple of KM.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

10 years old: how about a complete coolant flush, including a reverse flush of the heater core? Use Toyota stuff of course.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
mr.clutch

Post by mr.clutch »

Browning , Make sure you turn the blower down or off when you park your car if you leave it on high you are just making it harder to gain heat. You may also want to make sure you cooling fan is no stuck on drawing air all the time. You might have a stat issue but it could also be water pump getting weak (leaking internally) and not having enough presser to get full flow to heater core. QUICK REPAIR just get a piece of coroplastic ( plastic cardboard ) and block off three quarters of your radiator. Just place it between condenser and radiator nothing to fasten just make sure to remove in spring.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Where are your controls set?

The setting for fastest heat is: selector on "floor", fan on "high", thermostat set to "hot", and vent button pushed in for "recirculate".

The car will idle at least 2000 rpm until it starts to warm up.

My guess is you have the selector set to "defrost" or "floor/defrost" with the A/C on and fan on high, thermostat set to hot. The defrost setting forces the recirc door open, which blows 14 degree air directly over the heater core (the A/C doesn't help either) and into the cabin.

If you let the car warm up for 15 minutes without the defroster and the windows fog up, turn on the defroster with A/C right before you need to go- it should clear up in less than two minutes.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

An easy test for a sticky thermostat:
Start the engine cold and let it idle.
Feel the radiator hoses as it warms up.
The bottom radiator hose should stay cold until the temp gauge is up to normal.
The top hose might get lukewarm.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

100% sounds like a thermostat issue. A plugged heater core wouldn't result in the engine temperature staying low for a long time. I'd drain the whole system and replace the thermostat.
MrWhoopee

Post by MrWhoopee »

kumquat wrote:100% sounds like a thermostat issue. A plugged heater core wouldn't result in the engine temperature staying low for a long time. I'd drain the whole system and replace the thermostat.
What he said. I've experienced similar issues on my 4th Gen Hondas several times. Won't warm up idling, warms very slowly while driving. It's always the thermostat. Blocking off the radiator will alleviate the symptoms but won't cure the cause.
Craig
'06 Matrix Base AWD