High Mileage Synthetic

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
woodworker

High Mileage Synthetic

Post by woodworker »

I have an o4 Vibe that I've run Mobil One synthetic in for a good while now with no problems. At 172K miles, I'm thinking of switching to Mobil One High Mileage. Just wanted to check to make sure no one has had any problems with this before making the switch. Thanks for the help.
vibrologist

Re: High Mileage Synthetic

Post by vibrologist »

high mileage oils have additives that can fix tiny cracks in seals and expand the rubber a bit. This will reduce any oil loss through them. Once you have started with high mileage oils you should probably stay with them because if you switch back to a regular oil the seal conditioners will be washed out and then you have real leaks.

I have to say that I don't have personal experience with that. it is some info that I picked up on the interwebs. You say you have no issues with Mobil 1. Why not stay with it?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
trb

Post by trb »

I used it on the last oil change on the 03 GT since it has 223K miles on it. I know the prior owner only used Mobil 1, but I didn't ask him if it was regular or high mileage, so I figured I'd use it since the oil pan was leaking. I'll have to replace the oil pan seal next oil change since it did not help on the leak.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Personally, I would stick with good full syn since you've been using that for a long time. If you just bought it, and didn't know what was used, I would consider the high mileage oil.
woodworker

Post by woodworker »

Thanks for the info. Just wanted to check before making the change. At this point I think I'll stay with regular Mobil One as long as I'm not having any problems. Thanks again.
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

If you have a base Vibe, you need to figure out if you have the TSB dipstick. If not, you need to measure and make sure you overfill. I would also suggest using the larger GT oil filter. Both of these will allow you to run more oil, and that is always a good thing. It may have actually saved me from grenading my engine when the oil pressure sender failed and leaked badly.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I have been using Castrol high mileage synthethic blend for a while, and I noticed I dont have to top off as much as I used to. Im at 196K. I honestly thought high milegage oil was a scam :lol:
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
RRich89

Post by RRich89 »

I actually just switched from Valvoline high mileage blend to Valvoline full synthetic high mileage on my '06 base with 133k miles. It's been about 1,500 miles with the full synthetic I can say there has been about a half an mpg gain in my average fuel economy and the cold weather valve chatter noise hasn't been as prevalent as before. I wasn't losing any oil before and I haven't lost any since the change to full synthetic. This is my first experience with full synthetic and I won't be going back now!
PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

I got my 09 GT with about 60K on it and have used nothing but full synthetic the whole time. I now have 102,000 and some change and will keep on using Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synthetic, whichever brand is on sale in the 0-W 20 flavor.