rough hesitation when cold

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
turner88

rough hesitation when cold

Post by turner88 »

After installing the upper intake gasket on my 2zz and putting on remanned injectors, I have quite a substantial hesitation when first launching. The engine nearly cuts out and I have to feather the throttle to get it going. Once it warms up it pretty much goes away and I did get a lot of my top end back and all else seems fine. I used a torque wrench on the flange and tightened center to the outside. I do have a new throttle body gasket otw because I didn't like the looks of the old one. I did clean the gunk off and inspect for cracks, but its still questionable. I'm considering purchasing new coil packs maybe the high performance accell ones... any thoughts?
vibrologist

Re: rough hesitation when cold

Post by vibrologist »

Maybe you forgot to connect a vacuum hose somewhere. Look for vacuum leaks first. That is very likely the cause of this kind of rough idling/running.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
turner88

Post by turner88 »

Thank you, I did check and reconnect those, but I haven't ruled out a cracked hose. What is the one leading from the air intake to the intake manifold with the little filter. I did use that one to do a seafom flush several thousand miles ago.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Honestly, I don't know what it is. I did not have any such trouble with my Vibe but plenty of that with my boys' Mazda Protege.
I suggest you use common methods of detecting vacuum leaks (You-tube to the rescue) such as listening with a piece of garden hose, carb cleaner or cigar smoke.
Best of luck!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476