Accelerating Noise

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Mynewvibe

Accelerating Noise

Post by Mynewvibe »

Hello I have Vibe07. Some time back 6 Mth driving from the Fist Gear I can hear a lite noise Grindings. I have change my Manual Transmission to Redline oil . It seems to get less noise. In the last 2 months It got worst .
Symptoms : If I have the car starts and just rav my engine , not noise . But the moment I shift gear to move it starts that noise . And it get louder the hardener I Accelerated. On Hwy If I accelerate the noise increases and it decreases if I take my foot of gas.
I was thinking of CV joint but I had that experience and it only hear the noise if you take turns is the loudest if is straight drive is less noise .
I will have to go to a mechanic but I was wandering if anybody heard about this and what it can be?
Thank you in advance for any info
SeattleJeremy

Re: Accelerating Noise

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Does your car have an automatic or manual transmission? How many miles or Kilometers are on the car?
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Mynewvibe

Post by Mynewvibe »

Manual Transmission . 272.000 Km ..
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

Sounds like the typical 5-speed bearing failure.
viewtopic.php?t=37798

The solution is to replace the transmission it with a used 6-speed. Sorry.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
Mynewvibe

Post by Mynewvibe »

That sucks , what would you think that would cost , new or rebuild . Crazy I was staying away from Automatic Trans because of the surprises to rebuild or get new Transmission. Looks like may not make a difference this days . Any way I will have to go and try few Mechanic places fist .
I'm from Toronto Canada anybody can recommend good transmission Mechanic place ?

Thank you ,,
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

IMHO the best bet is a 6-speed from Monkey Wrench Racing:

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/produ ... ts_id=1665

It is freshly rebuilt, has the modifications to drop in place of the 5-speed and has a similar top gear ratio so the
engine doesn't rev higher on the highway like it would with a stock 6-speed. $2,195
2006 Matrix 5-sp
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Car-part.com to search for an 03 matrix XRS transmission. Several in/around the GTA at the wreckers.
Mynewvibe

Post by Mynewvibe »

Hi everybody im not sure if I should rebuild my Transmission and new cluch / most quarts i have got is $2500 / $3000 . I was thinking of buying a new Car a Vibe 09 or 10 ..
My question : is the wheels size same as 2007 ( last year i bout new winter and summer tires) wander if i can use them on 09/10 .
And if 2009/2010 have the same prob with Transmission . Or any other big problems to know about .
Im pushed in a fast decision making .. So feel free to give all of your opinions .

Thank you for any help
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

It looks like the base 1.8L engine 09/10's use the same bolt pattern as 1st gen vibes. 2.4L 09/10's use a different size though.
viewtopic.php?t=43153

It should be a lot cheaper to replace with a 6-speed than to rebuild your 5-speed.
The 09/10's do not have the transmission problems that the 1st gen 5-speeds have.
However 2nd gens were de-contented compared to 1st gens, less standard features, worse gas mileage.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
Mynewvibe

Post by Mynewvibe »

I’m back in the happy mode. After long thinking to get a new car (which I was not happy about). Tried one more time, and I have found a better mechanic. Much better deal, having my Trans rebuild and new clutch installed for $2000. I’m driving it today and I can see the difference how it Shifts.
Thank you all for feedback.