Transmission Dead??

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
BlueCrush

Transmission Dead??

Post by BlueCrush »

Long time no post for me! Been out of the Vibe for a while. My 17 yr old stepson has been driving it for the past year. He takes good care of it. Today, he he came home to pick something up to bring to friends house. When he tried to leave, the Vibe will not shift out of park. I tried the shift release button, to no avail. Tranny fluid level is fine. Anyone else had a similar issue? Any ideas? :shock:

Thanks,
Brian
'05 AWD w/124,500 miles
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
vibrologist

Re: Transmission Dead??

Post by vibrologist »

Brian, there are other possibilities. For example the transmission range sensor could be bad or the safety where you have to step on the brake to move the lever could be bad.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
kostby

Post by kostby »

Check the ignition key.
If you have a good second or duplicate key, try that.
One time a few months ago, the transmission on our 2003 Base seemed 'locked', but it was because I did not have the key fully inserted and turned enough to unlock the steering wheel and transmission interlock. After 12 years, my Vibe ignition key is worn to the point where it no longer opens any of the external door or hatch lock mechanisms, yet somehow, it still works in the ignition switch! (And the remote fob still works fine, thankfully!)

Another thought is that if the car is parked on an incline, unlock the steering column and have 2 people physically push the car a tiny bit 'uphill' while trying the driver tries to move the transmission lever out of park. In theory, using the the transmission 'unlock button' under the little plastic thingy on the shift console should accomplish the same thing, but it never hurts to try another no-cost option.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

More info:

1) I can start the car fine.
2) I can force the shift lever into "R". It lock in, the reverse lights go on. Car does not go into reverse though. Shift lever does not go past "R".
3) Car is not on an incline
4) Shift lock release button does nothing.
5) Pulled the shift lever housing off. Did not notice anything preventing the shift lever from moving.
6) pressing the brake releases the safety switch to move the shift lever out of park.

Leads me to believe it might be more than just electronic?

It's weird that it worked fine and just stopped without any issues or noises.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I found a similar problem discussed on Just Answers based on a Toyota:
Mechanic’s answer
Skyvisions , ASE Certified Technician
13,754 Satisfied Customers
Have some one move the shifter inside and under the hood down by the dipstick tube locate the shift cable where it attaches to the front of the transmission. Is it moving the lever on the front of the trans? The cable is known to break right at that pivot. If the arm on the trans is not moving and the cable is then the cable will have to be replaced.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/7t7zz- ... z3l64x7vcX
Maybe in your case the cable got jammed.
I hope that gets you somewhere.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

I will check that tonight along pulling any codes. Some good info on Just Answers as well. Thanks Vibrologist.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD