Right Front CV Axle Continued...

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Megladon7

Right Front CV Axle Continued...

Post by Megladon7 »

I've been working on replacing the Right Front CV Axle on my '03 Vibe. I purchased a reman'd unit and installed it with only minimal issues :P. After driving it for a couple days, I noted a small oil leak. It was clearish oil from the gear box not black oil from the engine. I figured I must have damaged the seal either removing the old axle or installing the new. So I ordered a new seal (had to get it from GM, almost as expensive as the axle!) Once it arrived, in the process of pulling the reman'd axle, I noticed fresh grease flung all over the wheel well. There was a small tear in the outer boot. Removed the reman'd unit (remembering to drain the oil first this time) and took it back. The manager of the store ordered me a new unit (not reman'd), no extra charge. So now I have that. I pried out the old seal. In the process of removing the old seal, a small circular slinky type part fell out (see photo). Is it part of the old seal? Is it a separate part? Does it go in the groove shown in the second photo?? Inquiring minds want to know!!

All help/advice greatly appreciated!
Attachments
Groove.jpg
Groove.jpg (90.14 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
Spring.jpg
Spring.jpg (80.97 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
jolt

Re: Right Front CV Axle Continued...

Post by jolt »

The "small circular slinky type part fell out" is part of the seal. It is a backing spring for the lip of the seal. Not all seals have a backing spring, it depends on the design of the seal. You can see the spring in the picture of the seal at this site:
http://www.skf.com/group/products/seals ... seals.html

p.s.
I almost forgot to remind you to lube the seal and shaft before you put them together. The lip of the seal can be damaged by the rotating shaft if it is not lubed when assembled. The rubber seal lip can be torn if installed on a dry shaft surface and will start leaking again.
Megladon7

Post by Megladon7 »

Excellent! Now I can re-assemble and get this baby back on the road.

I'll remember to lube it up, the GM guys told me the same thing when I picked up the new seal.

Thanks again. I get more/better information here than on alldata! :P
Megladon7

Post by Megladon7 »

Now this is just killing me. OK, I got the seal in, no problem. Put the new axle in, seemingly no problem.

Put the axle nut on, takes a different size socket. 32mm hex. The new axle also seems to be too short. When I get the axle nut tight, the inner boot seems to be stretched more than I would like. Any thoughts?

(Other than I should have measured both the old and new axle before I left the store. I actually had them put both the old and new axle next to each other because the new one had a solid smooth piece on the inner side while the older one had a three lobed piece.)

Did I get the wrong axle AGAIN?
Megladon7

Post by Megladon7 »

Photo looking from the wheel well toward the Gear Case....
P5290018.JPG
P5290018.JPG (102.81 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
New Axle Nut, 32mm Hex rather than 30mm 12pt....
Nut.jpg
Nut.jpg (76.63 KiB) Viewed 1961 times