Surprise When Replacing Front Right CV Axle

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Megladon7

Surprise When Replacing Front Right CV Axle

Post by Megladon7 »

I'm replacing the front right CV Axle (half shaft, half axle, whatever else you can think of to call it), on my '03 FWD 5-speed manual, ABS equipped Vibe. Had a little trouble getting the shaft out of the transmission, used a pry bar and out it came....along with copious amounts of fluid. Was NOT expecting that! :shock:

I do something wrong? HELP!
kumquat

Re: Surprise When Replacing Front Right CV Axle

Post by kumquat »

The service manual for that car says to drain the transaxle and transfer case before removing the shaft, so I think you're OK. Just be sure to fill it back up and inspect for leaks once everything is back together.
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Yup that's totally normal. The fluid level is slightly higher than the hole the cv goes into. Just make sure you fill it back up. Put a little bit in and then drive it and check the level again. Don't just fill it up and assume it's full. You have to drive it before you get a true reading.
Megladon7

Post by Megladon7 »

Will do.

Thanks guys, just glad I wasn't under the flow when I pulled the axle!
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Megladon7 wrote:Will do.

Thanks guys, just glad I wasn't under the flow when I pulled the axle!
Yeah that's definitely a good thing.

Just noticed that you have the manual transmission. The fill procedure for that is to add fluid at the fill plug until it starts coming back out. That's when you know it's full.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I pulled mine without draining it once just to see how much would leak out for laughs. It will also pour out if you install the axle seal wrong ;) :lol:
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Megladon7

Post by Megladon7 »

I was checking the old axle compared to my new one. The old one has a rubber donut clamped on the shaft between the boots. The new one does not.

What is it and do I need it? :)

Thanks in advance folks....
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Megladon7 wrote:I was checking the old axle compared to my new one. The old one has a rubber donut clamped on the shaft between the boots. The new one does not.

What is it and do I need it? :)

Thanks in advance folks....
It's a vibration dampener. It's not really necessary. Technically speaking it actually slightly imbalances the axle but it absorbs a very small amount of vibration to make things slightly more smooth. Newer cars have lumps of rubber on everything. Exhaust, motor mounts, brake calipers, etc. Its just extra weight to me but to each his own. I replaced my cv axle several months ago and I couldn't tell any difference.
Megladon7

Post by Megladon7 »

O'Reilly guys tried to tell me that these new (actually re-maned) Axles are balanced better so they don't need the damper. Of course that's a bunch of horse hockey, but I'm installing the one w/o a damper anyway. :lol: