Exhaust Leak

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
dannyboy

Exhaust Leak

Post by dannyboy »

So over the winter my 06 AWD has developed a rather large exhaust leak. I've been chasing and repairing holes in the area around the muffler for the last year but now it sounds like its around the exhaust manifold. After taking it to a local shop to have the summer tires put on I had them take a look for the source of the leak.
They said its leaking between (1) the exhaust manifold and (6) the front pipe. One of the two flanges that holds the bolts and springs that allow the engine to move independently of the exhaust is bent or broken. The only fix according to them is order a new 1,2,4,5,7 and 9, OEM for over $1000 plus labor.
Has anyone else had a similar issue? Would replacing the exhaust with an aftermarket system be cheaper? Thanks in advance.
2006 AWD 'Stealth Grey'
My Garage
Rayven01

Re: Exhaust Leak

Post by Rayven01 »

Aftermarket probably isn't going to be an option since they're usually further back in the chain. I would, however, suggest getting a second opinion at a shop that does custom installs. Welding a new flange on the existing #6 shouldn't be that hard for a competent shop. Labor is still going to cost, since getting rusty exhaust parts out and back in is always a PITA, but $1000 in parts just for a bad flange is nuts.
Image  Image
dannyboy

Post by dannyboy »

It's the flange on the exhaust manifold side that's broken apparently and they said where it's cast iron nothing would weld to it. I'm fairly mechanically inclined but I know very little about welding. The town I'm in is very small, there's no where else to take her besides the dealer. I will be moving in a couple months hopefully to somewhere bigger so it may have to wait until then.
2006 AWD 'Stealth Grey'
My Garage
GOF

Post by GOF »

Do you have a welding specialty shop in town? It can be done. But it takes someone who knows what he is doing.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

dannyboy wrote:It's the flange on the exhaust manifold side that's broken apparently and they said where it's cast iron nothing would weld to it. I'm fairly mechanically inclined but I know very little about welding. The town I'm in is very small, there's no where else to take her besides the dealer. I will be moving in a couple months hopefully to somewhere bigger so it may have to wait until then.
Can you not call shops in a nearby town and find anyone? Also, the reason the dealer told you they can't weld it is likely because they don't want to or have no one trained in welding.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
dannyboy

Post by dannyboy »

I mispoke when I said "there's no where else to take her besides the dealer", I meant that besides the garage I took her to, the only other place in town is the dealer. The nearest other town is an hour away but I have been doing some searching to find custom weld shops. I've also been on the hunt for an 06' AWD that's been wrote off for scrap I might be able to salvage a replacement exhaust manifold. Anyone know if any other year AWD exhaust manifold will fit?
2006 AWD 'Stealth Grey'
My Garage