Will a 2zz run on a 1zz ECU?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Rockett03

Will a 2zz run on a 1zz ECU?

Post by Rockett03 »

I have an 03 vibe base model that I just put a 2zz in out of a 04 vibe GT. I am not getting any fuel from the fuel pump. Could this be due to the 1zz ECU or did I foul something up when putting the 2zz in? I am just trying to make sure the 2zz runs before I drop $200 for the right ECU.

Thanks!
Salsa Guy

Re: Will a 2zz run on a 1zz ECU?

Post by Salsa Guy »

I'm not sure it will run. You are lucky enough that the ECU pin-outs are the same, I think and the harness is pretty close. No dude you need to buy the ECU, you can get a 03-04 GT/XRS ECU but the 05+ won't work. I'd suggest you look over a few 1zz and 2zz ECM diagrams.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I'm amazed you took on the effort of a motor swap and yet didn't know you needed the ECU, as well. Ballsy. ;) haha But yes, you'll need the ecu whether that's the current problem solver or not.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
triz

Post by triz »

Yes it will. If its for the purposes of starting. I have personally done it. I have not driven it with a 1zz ecu but it will run. I did it for the purpose of trying to diagnose a ecu problem.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
Rockett03

Post by Rockett03 »

Awesome thanks guys! Do you have any ideas on where I should start with my lack of fuel problem?
triz

Post by triz »

I would start by checking your efi fuses.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only