trans reliabilty question

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
robertvibe05

trans reliabilty question

Post by robertvibe05 »

I have a 05 vibe with 170xxx on the car and the trans fluid its dark and smells a lil burnt my question is if I change it will the trans slip it doesn't slip now but I don't want it to I just bought it like this and I hate automactic car please tell me there's hope that it won't slip if I change the fluid
Caretaker

Re: trans reliabilty question

Post by Caretaker »

If you are not the original owner and you don't know the car's maintenance history, then you are compelled to DRAIN the tranny fluid. DO NOT FLUSH at this point. Many Toyota technicians have told me that they have solved transmission shifting issues simply by swapping out old fluid with fresh conditioned fluid. If your car is (way) overdue for new fluid, leaving it in there is not going to help the car at all and you are just about guaranteeing a failure at some point. If you choose to do nothing, make sure you have a comfortable pair of walking shoes in the car.
trb

Re: trans reliabilty question

Post by trb »

Agreed. The trans fluid probably should have been changed every 60,000 miles unless it was lightly driven, so if it has never been changed, it is way overdue. I would drain and refill it, drive it a bit, and repeat. Maybe even drain and refill it 3 times to get most of the old fluid out of it. And use the correct Toyota Type IV fluid. I bought a case from the Toyota dealer for my son's car for about $65 or so.

From the owners manual:
❑ Change automatic transaxle fluid every 60,000 miles
(96 000 km) if the vehicle is mainly driven under one
or more of these conditions:
− In heavy city traffic where the outside
temperature regularly reaches 90°F (32°C)
or higher.
− In hilly or mountainous terrain.
− When doing frequent trailer towing.
− Uses such as found in taxi, police or delivery
service.
If you do not use your vehicle under any of these
condition, the fluid does not require changing. See
Part D: Recommended Fluids and Lubricants on
page 6-19 for the proper fluid to use.

Good luck!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"