O2 Sensor

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
2010VibeIN

O2 Sensor

Post by 2010VibeIN »

Had a problem this past weekend with the check engine light coming on.Took it to Autozone,came up with O2 sensor.The car was running fine,gas mileage is nearly spot on to where it should be and the weather we are having now I kind of figured that something had tripped the car to set the O2 sensor off. I removed the negative battery terminal for 30 seconds and put it back on and the check engine light went off and has not came back on. I've put around 300 miles on it since and the car is running as it should.No rough idle or change in gas mileage.
Had an oil change done yesterday and had them check said O2 sensor and was told there was no problem with it and it looked fine. Should I go ahead and change it or wait it out and a little longer and see what happens?
I have the 2010 2.4L 5 Speed auto transmission with 133,500 miles on it. I will also note there was no loss of power when the engine light was on and that has not changed.Still has the same get up and go as when I first bought it.
I average about 21 mpg in town driving and it's a lot of stop and go driving at that.I rarely do any highway driving.
vibrologist

Re: O2 Sensor

Post by vibrologist »

hi VibeIN:
When you get the codes checked at a parts store you need to careful: always write down the DTC (digital trouble code) as it shows on the scanner. The store clerk may just know that a code is based on a particular sensor. For example "P0171: lean condition on cylinder bank 1". This is a code based on information coming from the oxygen sensors. It really means two things: the sensor does its job and you have a vacuum leak somewhere. If you were to replace the sensor it would be akin to "killing the messenger" for bringing the bad news and the code would come back in short order.

My suggestion: keep driving without any worry and when the light comes on again get us the actual code and not just what that pimple faced store clerk thinks that code means.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
2010VibeIN

Post by 2010VibeIN »

vibrologist wrote:hi VibeIN:
When you get the codes checked at a parts store you need to careful: always write down the DTC (digital trouble code) as it shows on the scanner. The store clerk may just know that a code is based on a particular sensor. For example "P0171: lean condition on cylinder bank 1". This is a code based on information coming from the oxygen sensors. It really means two things: the sensor does its job and you have a vacuum leak somewhere. If you were to replace the sensor it would be akin to "killing the messenger" for bringing the bad news and the code would come back in short order.

My suggestion: keep driving without any worry and when the light comes on again get us the actual code and not just what that pimple faced store clerk thinks that code means.
I have the paper he gave me that had the code and explained what it was.I'll have to look and see where I put it.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Welcome to GV. Yes please post the code and perhaps we can help. O2 Sensor can mean 2 different sensors and other 50 problems
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
2010VibeIN

Post by 2010VibeIN »

P0137 Bank 2, Sensor 1 was the code. It came back on yesterday and now I do notice a difference in the car on how it idles. As soon as I get the money I am getting it changed out.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

vibrologist wrote:My suggestion: keep driving without any worry and when the light comes on again get us the actual code and not just what that pimple faced store clerk thinks that code means.
Parts guys only usually know that a car has four wheels. No wait, 5, cuz there's also the steering one.

Well, a car has the rolly-turny-thingies.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

2010VibeIN wrote:P0137 Bank 2, Sensor 1 was the code. It came back on yesterday and now I do notice a difference in the car on how it idles. As soon as I get the money I am getting it changed out.
A bad sensor is a possibility, but only one of many. It also bothers me that he said "Bank 2" because we have only one bank and it is by definition "Bank 1": the bank that has cylinder 1.

A code P0137 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty o2 sensor
Exhaust leak near the rear sensor
Plugged catalyst
Short to voltage on O2 signal circuit
High resistance or open on O2 signal circuit
Engine running very rich or lean
Engine misfire condition
Fuel pressure very high or low - fuel pump or pressure regulator

Possible Solutions
Replace faulty sensor (test the sensor before calling it faulty!)
Repair exhaust leak near the rear sensor
Check for restriction in catalyst and replace as necessary
Repair short, open, or high resistance on o2 signal circuit

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0137
Copyright © OBD-Codes.com

Sooooo, when was the last tune up done?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Also consider a visual inspection. Toyota's O2 sensors don't typically have issues very soon, so this could also be due to a rodent chewing the wires. Can't remember if that throws a higher or lower voltage code, though.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

I'd say replace that O2 Sensor first. Should be about $60 and make sure it's the 2nd O2 sensor after the CAT.
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Salsa Guy wrote:I'd say replace that O2 Sensor first. Should be about $60 and make sure it's the 2nd O2 sensor after the CAT.
I would say check the electrical connector and wires to said sensor first. I like to go from cheap to more expensive. As an aside: shops won't necessarily do that, because they want to get it done 100% no matter how expensive it will be to the customer. Come-backs are bad for the shop's reputation.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

vibrologist wrote:
Salsa Guy wrote:I'd say replace that O2 Sensor first. Should be about $60 and make sure it's the 2nd O2 sensor after the CAT.
I would say check the electrical connector and wires to said sensor first. I like to go from cheap to more expensive. As an aside: shops won't necessarily do that, because they want to get it done 100% no matter how expensive it will be to the customer. Come-backs are bad for the shop's reputation.
You are correct!