Smell gasoline and maybe exhaust

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
WestC4

Smell gasoline and maybe exhaust

Post by WestC4 »

Hey there vibers, just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this or and knows how to fix this. Today after work I started up my vibe and could smell a strong gasoline odor in the cab, it lingered for quite a while during the drive home. Maybe a little of an exhaust smell too but definitely a strong gasoline smell. And ideas or help please.
My vibe is a 2008 base vibe
lannvouivre

Re: Smell gasoline and maybe exhaust

Post by lannvouivre »

Remove the lower part of the rear bench seat and make sure nothing is wrong with the fuel pump lines or tank cap.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
WestC4

Post by WestC4 »

checked under the seat. cap and lines are good. im wondering if this is just due to the car idling high. ive been watching and it seems I only notice this when I start the car up for the first time in the morning and when I leave work. I know that until the engine warms up the car idles closer to 2000 rpm. maybe im just a little paranoid, I haven't been the main driver of this car until recently. it was my wifes dd, but now she has a newer ride and the vibe has become my work dd.

sorry for the rambling, but just looking for some advice and/or wisdom, thanks
WestC4
WestC4

Post by WestC4 »

thanks for the input lannvouivre!
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

WestC4 wrote:checked under the seat. cap and lines are good. im wondering if this is just due to the car idling high. ive been watching and it seems I only notice this when I start the car up for the first time in the morning and when I leave work. I know that until the engine warms up the car idles closer to 2000 rpm. maybe im just a little paranoid, I haven't been the main driver of this car until recently. it was my wifes dd, but now she has a newer ride and the vibe has become my work dd.

sorry for the rambling, but just looking for some advice and/or wisdom, thanks
WestC4
WestC4: I think this is normal. When the engine is cold the mixture is rich and the idle is high. This is necessary because the fuel condenses when it hits the cold surfaces in the cylinders. By keeping it rich there remains enough atomized fuel in the air to ignite. That also means that a lot of unburned fuel goes through the tailpipe. Now, you say, but there is a catalytic converter that should burn off those extra hydrocarbons. Well, I say, you are correct but the catalytic converter is still too cold to do its job.
That said you should not get a lot of fumes into the cabin. Make sure the door and hatch seals are good, and keep the windows closed until you get out of the plume. Also, stay back from other cars that show a lot of steam at the tail pipe. They are also warming up and you don't want their fumes be drawn into your cabin.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

^^X2 but doesn't hurt to check out the fuel pump and maybe inspect the exhaust.

EDIT
Last edited by Salsa Guy on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Salsa Guy wrote:^^X2 but doesn't help to check out the fuel pump and maybe inspect the exhaust.
did you mean: "doesn't hurt?"
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

WestC4

Post by WestC4 »

Thanks for all the input. That was pretty much what I was thinking, just wanted some confirmation I guess. Sorry I forgot to mention the fact that I also could smell it when close to another car. But once you mentioned it, I remembered that I would get it then too. And I kind of thought it was the other cars exhaust being brought in. So thanks again
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

vibrologist wrote:
Salsa Guy wrote:^^X2 but doesn't help to check out the fuel pump and maybe inspect the exhaust.
did you mean: "doesn't hurt?"
Yes I did and it's been corrected. THANKS!
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
BWCAVibe

Post by BWCAVibe »

West,

Last winter during a real cold spell, I smelled gas real strong when idling and driving. It ended up being the pressure regulator on the fuel rail. Mine is a '04 GT, and I thought the mechanic told me that is specific to the 2 ZZ engine. Ended up replacing the rail and pressure regulator as one part. I could really smell the gas when lifting the hood, but could never see any gas over the course of 4 days, then I finally took it in as it was consistently -20 to -30 F in the mornings over that spell.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

The 2005-8 1ZZ also seems to have a regulator, I think. Maybe where the breather hose passes over the rail, since I can't see it in my engine bay shots...
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
WestC4

Post by WestC4 »

Hey thanks for the input about the pressure reg. I'll check that out. Is this part known to fail? Although I've been keeping an eye on it and I think it is just the unburnt fuel from while the engine is cold. It seems I only notice it when the wind is just right or when I was to close to another car. Though I'll check the pcv valve and pressure reg for sure. Thanks again
WestC4

Post by WestC4 »

Sorry for not getting back sooner, truthfully just forgot. Yep no issues, all good. Thank again
reuseaway

Post by reuseaway »

I can definitely smell something when I'm idling. I found that if you don't blow in outside air that you can't smell it. Can turn on outside air (vs recirculate) when you are moving with no problem.

Both me and my mechanic looked for obvious exhaust leaks and couldn't find anything that sounded like on.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

reuseaway wrote:I can definitely smell something when I'm idling. I found that if you don't blow in outside air that you can't smell it. Can turn on outside air (vs recirculate) when you are moving with no problem.

Both me and my mechanic looked for obvious exhaust leaks and couldn't find anything that sounded like on.

It depends on the wind direction then. If the wind pushes the exhaust fumes towards the front of the car they find their way into the air vent intakes. When you drive you leave the exhaust fumes behind.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

hogdoctor

Post by hogdoctor »

My Vibe is currently sporting an exhaust manifold outlet gasket blowout. On startup with the vent set to fresh, I get a cabin full of rich smelling exhaust, I expect the air pickup door is right there by the exhaust manifold. Hoping for an inductive nut heater for christmas.

Patrick
reuseaway

Post by reuseaway »

I have had this problem for the past year of so. I had my mechanic look and last year and he didn't find anything obvious.
I had been dealing with it by turning the fan off when I was standing still. It wasn't a problem when moving.

I don't know if it got worse but I discovered what it is. The catalytic converter is leaking but not making any loud exhaust sounds. When the car was on the lift for another exhaust issue it was obvious from underneath. It's just in back of the engine so it can leak up under the hood and into the passenger compartment when standing still.

I was at a specialty muffler shop and they said they could remove and repair the converter for about $650. Has anyone had experience with this type of repair?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

reuseaway wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:52 am I was at a specialty muffler shop and they said they could remove and repair the converter for about $650. Has anyone had experience with this type of repair?
Magnaflow 99205HM is a direct fit for the 03-08 FWD Vibes. $100 part, $50 weld job. Don't waste stupid money on an OEM one.

The donut gaskets are prone to leaking. Replace those and that should solve most of the issue you're having.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I used these folks.

https://www.discountconverter.com/direc ... /index.cfm

I wouldn't touch a $100 catalytic converter if you paid me. They tend to be low on the catalyst, for one thing.

They also only have one cat, and the Vibes have two.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Bookworm wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:48 am I used these folks.

I wouldn't touch a $100 catalytic converter if you paid me. They tend to be low on the catalyst, for one thing.

It's been 4 years and nearly 50k miles on my Magnaflow converter. Perfect fit for the lower converter. Odds of the upper converter being an issue is pretty slim. Many others on the FB have ran the exact same converter for much longer than I have with great success. It's a much better alternative than shelling out $1k on a converter on a 16 year old car with 280k miles.

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

zbyers wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:49 am
Bookworm wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:48 am I used these folks.

It's been 4 years and nearly 50k miles on my Magnaflow converter. Perfect fit for the lower converter. Odds of the upper converter being an issue is pretty slim. Many others on the FB have ran the exact same converter for much longer than I have with great success. It's a much better alternative than shelling out $1k on a converter on a 16 year old car with 280k miles.
1k? I paid around 500 for an exact fit, no cutting/welding needed, with two oxygen sensors, and had it installed. (not installed by them, but as part of that price). It's still on the car, 80k+ miles later, with no issues whatsoever.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Bookworm wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:00 pm1k? I paid around 500 for an exact fit, no cutting/welding needed, with two oxygen sensors, and had it installed. (not installed by them, but as part of that price). It's still on the car, 80k+ miles later, with no issues whatsoever.

most shops and/or parts stores want at least $500 just for the full converter pipe...O2 sensors are generally $50+ for a quality denso or comparable. Examples:

https://www.autozone.com/emission-contr ... 3_0_234588
https://www.autozone.com/emission-contr ... 8_0_234588
https://www.autozone.com/engine-managem ... _0_0_98000
https://www.autozone.com/engine-managem ... _0_0_97999

On my $2000 beater with 280k miles, it's not worth dropping $500+ into the converter when the $100 high flow Magnaflow works just fine. The pipe I mentioned is a perfect fit, and with a quality weld job, it has resolved mine, and many others, P0420 issues (or similar) for years.

To each their own, though.