IAC 1zz vs 2zz specific?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
lobi

IAC 1zz vs 2zz specific?

Post by lobi »

Still getting the p0505 (iac) code/check engine light after extensive cleaning of my throttle body and iac.
Anyone know for sure if the Idle air control valve is different on the base vs the GT?
Rock.auto shows a different part (and part number) for each and they start about $150
Ebay has them for $50 and everyone saying fits both base and GT

Ran into this before with cv axles. Passenger side do not swap from base and gt but drivers side (despite having different part numbers) will swap from either vehicle.
I spent most of my life hunting and fishing, the rest I just wasted.
Salsa Guy

Re: IAC 1zz vs 2zz specific?

Post by Salsa Guy »

Need to watch how that IAC goes back in. IIRC there is way you can run coolant back into the TB if not careful. Not sure about IAC on the 1zz and 2zz. Go to a Toyota parts website and check the part number for the 2 different engines.

EDIT: I checked and they have 2 different P/Ns and designate the XR and XRS.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
lobi

Post by lobi »

Thanks Salsa. I appreciate the effort and research.

It is always fun owning a lower production or somewhat unique vehicle such as one with the 2ZZ engine. Per auto zones computer the GT was only 10% of the Vibes. I don't know the accuracy of this but seems reasonable. I ordered a passenger side cv axle which is totally different between the 1zz and the 2zz. The one that came from the warehouse was not correct, didn't have the carrier bearing despite having the right part number on the box and correct pictures in their computer of it. In my research for the correct drivers side cv axle I found different part numbers for the base vs the GT as well. They however seem identical and people have swapped 6 speed transmissions into base Vibes without the need to change the base axle, at least on the drivers side.

My hunch is that the iac, despite different part numbers, will turn out to be interchangeable as well. I'll likely just live with the generic iac code for now as it seems to run just fine. The problem with a persistent check engine light is that you don't know when a new code pops up. I have a high end scanner and can check it anytime I want but everything right is always better. It is also satisfying to research/diagnose a problem and fix it right.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

I have a 05 Trix AWD and 03 Vibe GT so I know the pain of getting the correct parts. That number seems correct for both the XRS/GT the AWD is about the same. What's even more rare is the AT XRS only made in 03.

Post up on that IAC you are getting.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
lobi

Post by lobi »

I didn't know a 2zz was ever offered with an auto. Kinda cool for non-stick shift drivers I guess.
We like stick shifts at our house. My wife drives a stick VUE, I have 2 GT's and had 2 different 5-speed base Vibes in the past as well as a stick prizm (1zz motor), stick civic, stick crx, several stick Saturn SL's, '75 400 4-speed Formula Firebird, '69 427 4-speed Corvette, 69 Triumph GT-6 4 speed, 4 Datsun stick shifts including a 240z, 260z and 2 280z's, Fiat spider convertable stick shift, etc, etc. Best experience with a stick shift ever however was doing ten laps around Dover Downs in a Winston cup car. Sorry for rambling, just took a trip down memory lane there.

I'm thinking this is the way to go. Why pay $250+ for dealer part or even $150 from rock auto?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IACV-Idle-Air-C ... e8&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Under $50 and claims to be both base and gt compatible. Probably is.

My GT is running nice, no hunting up and down rpm or really high rpm like I had on the last one but just likes to idle around 1650 rpm or so even warmed up. I removed the iac and cleaned it pretty darn good I thought. After still getting the code I ran a bunch of carb spray thru it while the vibe was running. To do this you have to remove the intake pipe right at the throttle body. Car won't stay running this way unless you disconnect the mass air flow sensor as well. With it idling I sprayed down into the throat of the throttle body where the opening is for the idle air bypass. Kept spraying while opening the throttle butterfly as well so that the iac would close as well as open again as the butterfly closed. Once you are done you'll have more codes to clear since the maf was disconnected, intake air temp was not getting fed, etc.