OBDII Port Not Working - Vibe Won't Start

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
FlatFenders

OBDII Port Not Working - Vibe Won't Start

Post by FlatFenders »

After jump starting another vehicle with my 2005 Vibe, mine will no longer start. Cranks over just fine but appears there is no spark. I tried connecting my Innova scan tool and it will not establish a connection. Checked all the fuses and even swapped the ones that seem to be related to OBD/TCM/ECM. Where is the computer located that controls the OBD? Is it part of the ECM/TCM? I have a 2nd 2005 Vibe I can swap parts with to isolate the problem if I can find where it is mounted.
joatmon

Re: OBDII Port Not Working - Vibe Won't Start

Post by joatmon »

The lines for the OBDII port come straight out of the ECM, except for a ground and power from a OBD fuse. The ECM is located on the inside of the firewall, behind the glove box. Looks like power to the ECM comes through the EFI fuse, but other fuses likely are also necessary

Here it seems like a common thing to have happen when jump starting, perhaps at some point crossing the cables, is that the 100A ALT fuse can be blown, along with some others. It's no simple task replacing that bolted in 100A fuse, but that fuse supplies power to a number of things. If that fuse was blown, you'd lose power windows/locks, brake lights running lights, 110VAC inverter, etc, but you didn't mention any other electrical circuits not working, just that it cranks but won't start, so perhaps that's not an issue
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Don't worry too much. This is somewhat common. Its unlikely you fried anything. I would double check ALL of the fuses, even if they don't seem to be ECM related.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Check AM2 and EFI fuses. One is under the hood the other in under the dash
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
lobi

Post by lobi »

Flatfenders, was it caused by jumper cables put on wrong?
What ended up being wrong, what fuses or whatever? Educate us for future reference.
I spent most of my life hunting and fishing, the rest I just wasted.