Need clip for shift cable? here is a easy way...

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
lobi

Need clip for shift cable? here is a easy way...

Post by lobi »

Bought this 03 Vibe GT that needed a trans, was really tore up. When I started to pull it I found a missing clip that holds the shift cable to the bracket just before it attaches to the trans. Might have been the problem with this trans however I had already bought another trans and a new clutch kit. Even if this trans would have been good with just a new clutch and of course the missing shift cable clip, I still had to pull it to do a clutch. Decided to use the new (used) trans I bought anyway.
Hit the internet searching for a shift cable clip. Found a forum (Thanks Acura guys!) where someone mentioned a Dorman "help" part, labled Breather Element Clips, that will work in a pinch. The Dorman part number is 41113. O'Rielies had it for me same day for $1.49. Came two in a pack. They are thinner than the stock clip but are still spring steel. I think both of them may fit in one slot for double strength. The width of the slot fits perfectly on the shift cable. Glad I didn't have to go rooting around a junk yard in the snow.

I'll have a re-buildable 6-speed core available for sale that might not need as much work as I first suspected since the shift cable was flopping loose. What is a 6-speed core worth? Seems most junkyards want a grand and up for a good trans. More for the woeful 5-speed.
Attachments
1clips.jpg
1clips.jpg (35.84 KiB) Viewed 989 times
I spent most of my life hunting and fishing, the rest I just wasted.
lobi

Re: Need clip for shift cable? here is a easy way...

Post by lobi »

Well, It worked like a charm. I was able to jamb both clips in the locking slot on the shift cable. Being thinner than the oem clip, I was afraid of the lack of strength. With both together I'll be leaving them in as a permanent fix and not bother looking for the correct clip. I'm confident in the snug fit and strength.
Here is a pic of them in place..
Attachments
1clips2.jpg
1clips2.jpg (19.43 KiB) Viewed 985 times
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Same clips are used to retain brake hoses. You can get them at any parts store.
lobi

Post by lobi »

jayoldschool wrote:Same clips are used to retain brake hoses. You can get them at any parts store.
I thought of that also but I think the brake clips are smaller, for a smaller diameter. Maybe they have many sizes, I don't know. These are wide. There are smaller clips in here in the vibe that retain the line going to the slave cylinder. They will not interchange. Being that I was missing only one of the two for the shift cables I suppose I could have just brought the one I had to the parts store and tried to match it up. Probably should have done that route as suggested by jay but this worked out, got lucky.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I'll have a re-buildable 6-speed core available for sale that might not need as much work as I first suspected since the shift cable was flopping loose. What is a 6-speed core worth? Seems most junkyards want a grand and up for a good trans. More for the woeful 5-speed.
Maybe you can have it bench tested by a transmission shop. If it tests good, I suppose you could get about 1/2 what junk yards ask.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476