Transmission problem on check engine light

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Plarka

Transmission problem on check engine light

Post by Plarka »

I previously posted about a mechanic saying I had a transmission problem, but neither I nor about 4 other mechanics and a friend that drove my car noticed anything. Now I'm on the road, driving from Florida to NY and the check engine light came on. (2005 Pontiac Vibe 176,000 miles, bought 2 months ago) I did slightly notice 'something' between 40 and 50mph, I guess when the gear was changing. A little jump maybe. Very slight and not every time. I went to Auto Zone, they did their computer thing and here's what it says:

Definition
TCC stuck off

Explanation
TCC commanded on and the ECM detected the TCC slip higher than limits

Probable cause

1. TCC solenoid failure
2. Open or short circuit condition
3. Blocked passage in transmission
4. Check transmission range switch for proper operation.

So I guess there is a problem with the transmission after all!!!!!!!! I've just emailed the guy I bought it from on Craigslist to ask if he knows if the transmission was ever flushed or fluid changed. Don't know if he'll reply. I've been told if you flush transmission you have a 50/50 chance it will make more problems. But that if it has been flushed before it shouldn't or is less likely. I have 4 days left of this road trip till I get to NY and don't want to do that now!!!

The guy we're staying with knows about cars and says he'll take a look at it and take it for a drive. What should I do??? We're in Jacksonville and tomorrow drive to North Carolina 5 hrs away. Can I still drive there? After the 5 hr drive tomorrow we have a 1.5 hr drive Thurs, 4.5 hr Friday and 4.5 Saturday when we reach our destination.
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
Plarka

Re: Transmission problem on check engine light

Post by Plarka »

Just read through an old thread that talks about getting a transmission drain and fill and NOT a flush. Could it be safe for me to drive about 15 more hours from where I am to where I'm going before getting it looked at? Could this be what I need? My friend drove it just now and said it did feel jumpy between 40 and 50mph.
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

There is no way to predict if this transmission will hold to the end of the trip. I would not want it on my conscience to send you on the way and then you get stuck. So: you are playing the odds, and we don't know if the odds are good or bad.

At the minimum I would replace the the transmission fluid and filter. This will allow you to have a look at the fluid and the filter and from there you could make a better guess about your odds. If the filter was clogged up it may now work better. You could also try to run with the OD off. Maybe the rough shifting is from 3rd to OD. Sure, it will lower the fuel economy but if this smooths out the transmission I would take that.

Whatever you do have a plan of action if the transmission conks out on you. I predict you will have a white knuckle trip.

Good luck!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Is there another problem with the transmission or just the light? TCC stuck off isn't dangerous. It just means the torque converter clutch isnt locking. All that will do is reduce gas mileage at highway speeds.
Plarka

Post by Plarka »

Just that I sometimes notice a jumpiness going between 40 and 50 or 60. Could it still be what you said, given that?
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

It could definitely be causing that. A torque converter is like a water wheel. It uses fluid pressure and flow to spin your tires. As you can imagine there is some slippage. But the slippage is what allows the engine to spin and the wheels to stay still when your foot is on the brake.

Normally at highway speeds the torque converter locks up, bypassing the fluid coupling and mechanically connecting the engine directly to the wheels. Then as you slow down it unlocks and works like a water wheel again. If the torque converter were to stay locked when your wheels came to a stop so would the engine.

But your torque converter isn't locking so it works like a water wheel all the time. This causes slippage at higher speeds.
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

As far as your problem goes it could be a blockage, a faulty TCC solenoid or a wiring issue. It can be diagnosed fairly easily by any competent mechanic.