Throttle body Cleaning How to

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Mario88

Throttle body Cleaning How to

Post by Mario88 »

Hi guys,I have a 2004 Pontiac Vibe base, with 110 000 miles on it, and I'm about to clean the throttle body,
I'm pretty sure you have talked about this several times, but I can't find a way to remove the
throttle body and clean it, all the videos I've seen are from Corollas, and to me there are some parts
that doesn't match, I'm a newbie with anything related to mechanics, so any help and cautions, will be appreciated.
Thanks.

This is my the vibe :D

gtv237

Re: Throttle body Cleaning How to

Post by gtv237 »

Very sweet color for a vibe. And kudos for trying to keep up on the maintinence. These cars go for a really long time with basic maintinance. First off, what exactly are you having trouble with? There should be only 4 bolts holding it on. Just remove the large rubber air tube going to it and any electrical connectors. Depending on the motor sometimes there will also be two small rubber hoses going to it. Those are coolant hoses and I would recommend pinching them off with locking pliers before removal.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Mario: if you like to begin with doing some of your own wrenching it would be a good idea to get the Haynes Manual for your vehicle. It is about $20.00. Many parts stores sell the manuals and there is always amazon. The good part of the manual is that it gives you the torque specifications for the bolts. Beginners tend to over tighten nuts and bolts and strip the threads. It also is full of pictures that help you identify the parts.
Also make sure you have some good quality tools.
TB cleaning is a good task to start with. Buy CRC Throttle Body Cleaner. It will not attack the anti dirt coating on the TB's metal surfaces. If you don't know some parts you still can remove them and place them aside in the sequence of removal. You clean stuff then reassemble starting with the last part that came out.

You can also use your camera to take pictures, so you can refer back to them.

Most importantly: take your sweet time with this and have fun.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Yes, just remember to tighten things until they're snug, like gtv and vibrologist mentioned. Be very gentle. You don't need to go much tighter than what you can do with your bare fingers. All the bolts you will remove should be 10mm. A 10 mm deep socket is what I recommend on the throttle body. You're right about the corolla videos being different, because they're all the drive by wire models that have electric, not mechanical, TBs. Here's a video of the only real difference for you to pay any mind, besides the idle air control valve.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bz8fecnmw8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit