Mechanic says my transmission is bad

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Plarka

Mechanic says my transmission is bad

Post by Plarka »

My 2005 Vibe has a high pitched sound when I hit about 42, a couple weeks ago it was when I hit 60. A couple mechanics said it was a bearing, got that replaced and mechanic said at the end he realizes it's the transmission on its way out. He said when he took it for a drive it was vibrating and felt like when you accidentally go on the edge of the road on a highway, and at a light the brake felt vibratey. Well I have never felt any of this. All I noticed was the high pitched sound. He says I should sell it. Or get the transmission rebuilt, and that he doesn't do that but can recommend someone.

Before all that he said he realized my car doesn't have ABS and that's so dangerous and he would never want a mother with children (which I am) to be driving without ABS and when I asked what to do he said sell it.

At the end of the very last conversation he said he can help me look for a new car (for $30 a time he had said before) or help me sell it, just call him.

Does he have something to gain from me selling my car? Am I being too suspicious? Do I really need to sell it?? How do I know if I really need a new transmission? The last mechanic who drove it the other day didn't notice vibrating.

I bought this car about a month ago from an individual, it has about 175,000 (I know, I know, it's high, but I needed a car and it was the best I could find in my price range!!)
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
Vulcan05

Re: Mechanic says my transmission is bad

Post by Vulcan05 »

I would say you need a different mechanic way more than you need a different car. RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
Derf

Post by Derf »

Could be any number of things. If you just bought the car on his recommendation ($30 a time) then it appears he is making more money off inspecting cars than fixing them. What bearing did they replace. One main cause of high pitched sound is a power steering, AC, water pump, or idler bearing. In rare occurrences a loose exhaust head shield can cause a whine, but that is usually at lower speeds. As far as the vibration, that could simply be rotors that are out of round. I would get another opinion.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to genvibe, and sorry to hear about the troubles.

If it were me, I'd probably take it to some other place and get a free estimate. A chain, like Aamco might do that for you. http://www.aamco.com/allCoupons.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has a coupon for a free inspection, not sure it is a transmission inspection though. Perfectly OK to get a second opinion, and if you get a free inspection/estimate feel free to shop around to find the best price for a repair. Still, my cynicism makes me feel that anyone who repairs cars is likely to find something wrong that needs to be fixed even if it doesn't.

Overall, it's hard to say what you should do, so much depends on your situation, details it may not be advisable to post on the internet. I've had cars with no ABS for over 30 years, that does not make them the into the death trap that your mechanic says. Over the years, there have been a number of people here who've wrecked their cars, some of the after pictures look truly terrible, but it's surprising how much these cars protect the people inside. Injuries, if any, seem to be much less that you'd expect from looking at the pictures. So, as a mother with kids, know that these cars do help protect that most precious cargo

The future reliability of an 05 Vibe with 175K miles on it depends a lot on how it was treated and maintained by the previous owner. I got 288K out of my first 03, others have gotten well over 300K in these, so they can be a very reliable and long life car.

I don't know if the mechanic is genuinely trying to help or has a hidden agenda in recommending you sell the car and have him help you find another. Sometimes all the symptoms point to one cause, and after you address that, the problem doesn't go away. It happens, but when it does, it makes one wonder about the skill of the person identifying the cause of the problem. (Since I tend to do my own car repairs, this can be a problem ;) )

For this side of the internet, with only what you've said to go on, I'd say you don't need to sell the car.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

This mechanic is full of it! He is the proverbial bovine scatologist who tries to push a female customer to open up the wallet wide.

Whoa! The car has no ABS!
Until the early 70's no car had ABS. Regular brakes are safe. ABS brakes are safer.
Vibration when braking? If he says it vibrates like a rumble strip I bet you would feel it too. You don't have to be a car person to feel that.

Please, ask around for a honest independent mechanic. Independent means not a dealer and not a major franchise like Firestone, CarX, Midas etc. Look for "Ron's Automotive" or something like that. Ask for someone who wouldn't BS a woman but treats everyone right.

Once you find one have him check the fluids, the brakes and the belts. As someone said the whine at certain speeds is likely a bearing for a pulley or something similar innocuous.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

ABS is great, BUT needs extra maintenance to keep in working order otherwise it can just add dangers. Also, a used transmission would be far, far cheaper than a rebuilt one.

Can you tell us more? Is it an automatic? An automatic transmission is $200-500 dollars for 2004-2008 models, and $100-500 for 2003 models. Manuals are $600-800 and $800-1000 for the 5- and 6-speeds, respectively.

I would find another mechanic. I'm sorry this guy is trying to take you for a walk, that's just not right. I know customers can be annoying, but you don't go adding unnecessary c r a p to line your pockets, even if you find what seems to be a blue dropping in the front passenger's seat of an Avalon or something. Although I don't think he dislikes you so much as just wants to rip you off.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Plarka

Post by Plarka »

Thanks so, so much everyone for your replies. It's an automatic. He replaced the front passenger bearing.

I feel so ripped off. I said I didn't want to get it done only to keep hearing the sound and have paid all that money for nothing and he assured me that wouldn't happen. He assures me the bearing was on its way out anyway, even though it wasn't causing the sound, so it was good he replaced it. I don't know. He had already bought the part and mentioned needing money for the weekend and preferring me to pay with cash. There was no pressure, and he was really well mannered and polite, and seemingly caring. I feel so disappointed, I thought he was a good guy and trusted him. Should I not trust any mechanic as a rule? Are they all charmers? This was my second time using him and he always charges me at least half what the other recommended mechanic I to go tells me.

I'll find some other independent ones to see what they say.
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. Definitely get that second opinion. Update your profile for us (showing your geographical location) this way if one of us is near you we could recommend what shop(s) to go to.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

He had already bought the part
Red flag number one.
mentioned needing money for the weekend
Red flag number two.
preferring me to pay with cash
Red flag number three.

Three strikes, he's out. Please seek out an honest, professional mechanic.
Plarka

Post by Plarka »

Argh I can't believe I've been had! But his price is so cheap compared to everyone else, how can I not use him? He's a mobile mechanic, I figure that's why he's cheaper.

By 'He had already bought the part' I meant after we arranged for him to do it and then the next day when he was actually going to. Is that a red flag still? He needed to get the part to do the job right? Or should he have looked at the car and decided for sure, and then bought it?
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

He should have looked and verified.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Plarka: I'm getting ready to move to Tampa, Florida within the next year. I have already found my new mechanic sight unseen through some on line research. I'd suggest you do the same and then follow up with a personal visit. The sites to query are:

Repair Pal: just enter your zip code to: http://repairpal.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and
Car Talk: just enter your zip code in the red box in the lower right corner of the main page: http://www.cartalk.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also check out local ratings on Yelp. I have two mechanics to check out when I am down there early in the new year. I suggest you find someone else. While I am emphatically a supporter of anti-lock brakes, as was said before, having a "professional" make a comment about a safety item that was virtually non existent on most cars 15 years ago is ludicrous. I wish you luck in your search for a new mechanic.
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

The guy is looking to make a "killing" at your expense. He really does not care about you, your car or your safety, he wants the money. Time for someone else. As another member mentioned, try the car talk site, you're looking for the link to the Mechanics files. Enter your zip code and read the comments posted by people who have used the service shops listed. Thankfully, there are still great mechanics out there, who care about their work and their customers. They are just harder to find. Good luck.
Plarka

Post by Plarka »

Derf wrote:One main cause of high pitched sound is a power steering, AC, water pump, or idler bearing.
What exactly do you mean about each of these things that could be wrong? So I can suggest them to the next mechanics.
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

The power steering pumps make really weird whining noises when low on fluid or if they're on their way out. The idler pulley has these ball bearings in it that can whine if they're dirty or losing lubricant (which would mean the pulley needs replaced), and the water pump can also whine when it's going bad. These should be the first things your mechanic will think to check. You could ask your new mechanic what he or she is thinking of looking at first and why; a good mechanic can explain these things to you.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Just throwing in my 2 cents here BUT the original cause of noise only started at 42 mph & maybe 60mph. If any of the engine component just mentioned were bad, wouldn't they make the noise at any speed? I mean the engine will hit certain RPM's while shifting through all the gears, so if it is a sound occurring at say 2000 RPM then you'd hear the same sound FOUR times (assuming a four speed automatic. I'm thinking it is related to drivetrain or wheel bearing/brakes.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome! Sorry to hear you are having issues with your Vibe, but this is a good place to find info on it. I agree that you should get a second opinion. It could be that the transmission is going out, as rare as that may be, but I would go for a good, warrantied, low mileage used one before having one rebuilt. I see many of them in Florida salvage yards on http://www.car-part.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; from a few hundred ($300-450) like was mentioned. So it would be the cost of the transmission plus installation if it actually is bad. Just so you can keep that in mind if you get a repair estimate.

Good luck on it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Does it still make a sound? It may even just be that he replaced the wrong bearing. tpollauf is right, it doesn't sound like anything to do with the engine. A bad bearing is very easy to verify, he really should have checked first to make sure. All he would have had to do is take off the wheel, take off the brake parts, and spin the hub by hand. If it doesn't spin silently and smoothly, it's bad.
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

trb wrote:Welcome! Sorry to hear you are having issues with your Vibe, but this is a good place to find info on it. I agree that you should get a second opinion. It could be that the transmission is going out, as rare as that may be, but I would go for a good, warrantied, low mileage used one before having one rebuilt. I see many of them in Florida salvage yards on http://www.car-part.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; from a few hundred ($300-450) like was mentioned. So it would be the cost of the transmission plus installation if it actually is bad. Just so you can keep that in mind if you get a repair estimate.

Good luck on it!

It would make more sense to sell it.
Derf

Post by Derf »

tpollauf wrote:Just throwing in my 2 cents here BUT the original cause of noise only started at 42 mph & maybe 60mph. If any of the engine component just mentioned were bad, wouldn't they make the noise at any speed? I mean the engine will hit certain RPM's while shifting through all the gears, so if it is a sound occurring at say 2000 RPM then you'd hear the same sound FOUR times (assuming a four speed automatic. I'm thinking it is related to drivetrain or wheel bearing/brakes.
Yes, engine RPM would be a bigger factor. Sometimes the the vehicle shifts fast enough, noises aren't noticed until you are cruising at a given speed.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
triz

Post by triz »

Where in Florida are you located? I'm not a professional mechanic, but I am mechanically inclined and do my own work in my vehicles. If your local to me I could swing by and possibly help you pinpoint your problem.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Nasmfell wrote:It would make more sense to sell it.
Or just go to a mechanic who isn't trying to take her for a ride. I think these rather boring and lame 4-speeds are actually pretty reliable, claims that it's going bad are kind of suspect, especially when you have a guy who needlessly replaces a bearing and says "it was on its way out." A bearing is either bad or fine. Or spectacularly bad.
Plarka

Post by Plarka »

I've not been feeling well, so took a break from the car fixing!

Triz: Thanks so much, but I'm about 45-60 min from you, that's probably too far!

I went to a mechanic I found on one of the websites recommended here, and 2 of the guys drove it and said it's just the tires. I have used tires I got a couple weeks ago which he says are a noisy cheap brand. BUT I kept telling him the noise started when I had my old tires and has continued with these ones. He didn't think that mattered. I think it does!

Plus there are two sounds, the high pitched whining and the lower 'woo woo woo' sound. My bad mechanic had said the woo woo woo was tires, and the high pitch is something else but he says both are tires. I even had gone back to the tire guy to say my mechanic (the 'bad' one) said the back tires have uneven wear and see if he'd change one, he agreed one did and changed that but no change in sound. But this new guy says they're a loud type of tire soooo...
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

What brand and model?
triz

Post by triz »

Well, were abouts are you? What would help is possibly a video of the noise.
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
Plarka

Post by Plarka »

So now I'm on the road, driving to NY from Florida and the check engine light comes on. (2005 Pontiac Vibe 176,000 miles, bought 2 months ago) I did slightly notice 'something' between 40 and 50mph, I guess when the gear was changing. A little jump maybe. Very slight and not every time. I went to Auto Zone, they did their computer thing and here's what it says:

Definition
TCC stuck off

Explanation
TCC commanded on and the ECM detected the TCC slip higher than limits

Probable cause

1. TCC solenoid failure
2. Open or short circuit condition
3. Blocked passage in transmission
4. Check transmission range switch for proper operation.

So I guess there is a problem with the transmission after all!!!!!!!! I've just emailed the guy I bought it from on Craigslist to ask if he knows if the transmission was ever flushed or fluid changed. Don't know if he'll reply. I've been told if you flush transmission you have a 50/50 chance it will make more problems. But that if it has been flushed before it shouldn't or is less likely. I have 4 days left of this road trip till I get to NY and don't want to do that now!!!

The guy we're staying with knows about cars and says he'll take a look at it and take it for a drive. What should I do??? We're in Jacksonville and tomorrow drive to North Carolina 5 hrs away.
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

lannvouivre wrote:
Nasmfell wrote:It would make more sense to sell it.
Or just go to a mechanic who isn't trying to take her for a ride. I think these rather boring and lame 4-speeds are actually pretty reliable, claims that it's going bad are kind of suspect, especially when you have a guy who needlessly replaces a bearing and says "it was on its way out." A bearing is either bad or fine. Or spectacularly bad.

Good observation :)
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Plarka wrote:So now I'm on the road, driving to NY from Florida and the check engine light comes on. (2005 Pontiac Vibe 176,000 miles, bought 2 months ago) I did slightly notice 'something' between 40 and 50mph, I guess when the gear was changing. A little jump maybe. Very slight and not every time. I went to Auto Zone, they did their computer thing and here's what it says:

Definition
TCC stuck off

Explanation

Probable cause

1. TCC solenoid failure

So I guess there is a problem with the transmission after all!!!!!!!! I've just emailed the guy I bought it from on Craigslist to ask if he knows if the transmission was ever flushed or fluid changed. Don't know if he'll reply. I've been told if you flush transmission you have a 50/50 chance it will make more problems. But that if it has been flushed before it shouldn't or is less likely. I have 4 days left of this road trip till I get to NY and don't want to do that now!!!

The guy we're staying with knows about cars and says he'll take a look at it and take it for a drive. What should I do??? We're in Jacksonville and tomorrow drive to North Carolina 5 hrs away.
Simple things first:

On level ground, pull the transmission dipstick and check the level for the engine temp (hot or cold). Is it full?

Wipe dipstick on a clean white paper towel or rag. Is the fluid bright red and clear? If not, does it smell/look "burnt"? Does it have metallic 'sparkles' in it?

The transmission flush would cause problems if the wrong fluid was used- your Vibe takes Toyota T-IV (a.k.a. T-4).
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
triz

Post by triz »

Plarka wrote:So now I'm on the road, driving to NY from Florida and the check engine light comes on. (2005 Pontiac Vibe 176,000 miles, bought 2 months ago) I did slightly notice 'something' between 40 and 50mph, I guess when the gear was changing. A little jump maybe. Very slight and not every time. I went to Auto Zone, they did their computer thing and here's what it says:

Definition
TCC stuck off

Explanation

Probable cause

1. TCC solenoid failure

First off don't panic. If he knows a little about cars have him check the tcc connection. If not have a transmission shop check it for you. There is a big possibility it might have just come loose from a speed bump or car wash. I've seen instances where the plug was loose. Might be an easy fix, hopefully. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Plarka

Post by Plarka »

Ok I'll have the guy check the tcc connection. Could a transmission fluid and filter change be what it needs? Is that safer than a flush? I don't know if it was ever changed or flushed, and have read and been told that in that case, something about the 'stuff' in the fluid helping lubricate, or something like that. And if you put new oil in, it doesn't work as well as the old dirty one.

If I'm driving 70-80mph, is it not bothering whatever the 40-50mph problem is because I'm past that speed? So won't make it worse except when I'm at that speed and moving from that gear to the next?
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Plarka:

"Flushing the transmission" refers to hooking up a machine that uses a pump to push new fluid into the transmission while it replaces the old fluid. Theoretically every drop of old fluid gets flushed out and replaced with new fluid. They started using these machines in the early '90 s or so. The horror stories of transmission failure after a flush come from that time. There were old and neglected cars from the 70's and 80's subjected to this flush. What happened is that the transmissions had varnish (brown stuff) built up on the inside walls. The detergents of the fresh fluid cleaned the inside walls so well that large flakes of the varnish clogged up the new filter and the internal passages for the fluid. That doomed the transmissions.

However: I have been told on another forum that the incidences of "transmission death after a flush" are pretty much a thing of the past. The reason is that the newer transmission fluids are much improved and prevent varnish build up in the first place.

I suggest do what triz recommends: check the potential cheap fixes: 1. electrical connectors and switches.
2. visual and olfactory exam of the fluid: is it dirty? does it stink? If it is dirty and/or stinks have it replaced with new T-IV and have a new filter put in. Whether you have it flushed or replaced is a matter of personal preference. Some will flush a transmission without replacing the filter: that is a no-no to me. I insist on a new filter. However there are some transmissions (Ford CD4E) that don't have a filter, in that case flushing is just fine.

There is one more thing you can try when replacing filter and fluid did not help: there is a stuff called "Lucas Oil Transmission Fix". It has friction modifiers that can help loosen a stuck valve and it can help overcome slipping. It will not fix the transmission, only cover up the symptoms for awhile. It is only about $10. If it does not help that is what you have lost.

All the best!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

Plarka

Post by Plarka »

Is checking the connectors something I can do? I couldn't find a youtube video on it. Everyone says my transmission fluid is dirty, but one guy did say at least you can still see some red. And it doesn't smell bad or burnt.
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Plarka wrote:Is checking the connectors something I can do? I couldn't find a youtube video on it. Everyone says my transmission fluid is dirty, but one guy did say at least you can still see some red. And it doesn't smell bad or burnt.
Are you a quick learner? If so, yes you can. Go to Youtube and search for: eric the carguy auto electric basics

Please, go ahead and have that darn fluid and filter replaced!!!! While they do that they can also have a quick look at the electrical harnesses and connectors.

Oh, did I tell you to have the fluid and filter replaced? I mean: now.

And don't post anything else before you have the fluid and filter replaced.

(Some people think talking to plants helps the plants grow. Some people think talking to mechanics makes the fluid clean up by itself. I don't know about the first group, but the second group of people is wrong. dirty fluid needs to be replaced it does not clean up by itself.)
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Did you get the fluid and filter replaced now? Did it help?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

Plarka

Post by Plarka »

I just arrived in NY the other day, the car made it up here from Florida just fine. I hope to be going to a transmission guy today to see what he thinks it wrong. I emailed the guy I bought the car from and asked if he knows if the transmission fluid was ever changed or flushed and he pretty much said it wasn't. From what I have heard, that's bad news for changing or flushing it.

Also, I'm watching the video you mentioned vibrologist, and it's about the battery, alternator and starter. But my problem is the transmission, right?
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

vibrologist wrote:This mechanic is full of it! He is the proverbial bovine scatologist
Hilarious.

Great thread, hope all works out Plarka!
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Also, I'm watching the video you mentioned vibrologist, and it's about the battery, alternator and starter. But my problem is the transmission, right?
No, you wanted to know how to chase electrical problems. A transmission range sensor is an electrical device. So is a shift solenoid.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Don't flush the Tranny or run any chemicals in it!! You want a Fluid change over and is a simple process. Just disconnect the transmission return line from the radiator and transmission. Connect a hose to the fitting on the radiator and put into a 5 gallon bucket. Connect the Transmission side with another hose with a funnel on the end. Start the engine and pour fresh transmission fluid in the funnel. When the fluid coming out and going into the bucket is clean shut the engine down. Reconnect the transmission and radiator line. Start engine and check the fluid level adjust as needed through the dip stick fill port. It you have to much fluid disconnect the radiator line and let it drain out some from both sides. It's best to have 2 people one to dump fluid in and one to start/stop the engine and check fluid color. I'm thinking the it's about 1.5 gallons you'll need

Edit: It might be closer to 2.5 gallons
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Plarka

Post by Plarka »

Salsa Guy wrote:Don't flush the Tranny or run any chemicals in it!! You want a Fluid change over and is a simple process. Just disconnect the transmission return line from the radiator and transmission. Connect a hose to the fitting on the radiator and put into a 5 gallon bucket. Connect the Transmission side with another hose with a funnel on the end. Start the engine and pour fresh transmission fluid in the funnel. When the fluid coming out and going into the bucket is clean shut the engine down. Reconnect the transmission and radiator line. Start engine and check the fluid level adjust as needed through the dip stick fill port. It you have to much fluid disconnect the radiator line and let it drain out some from both sides. It's best to have 2 people one to dump fluid in and one to start/stop the engine and check fluid color. I'm thinking the it's about 1.5 gallons you'll need

Awesome! What about changing the filter? I've heard it's not much good changing the oil if you're not going to change the filter.
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
triz

Post by triz »

Salsa Guy wrote:Don't flush the Tranny or run any chemicals in it!! You want a Fluid change over and is a simple process. Just disconnect the transmission return line from the radiator and transmission. Connect a hose to the fitting on the radiator and put into a 5 gallon bucket. Connect the Transmission side with another hose with a funnel on the end. Start the engine and pour fresh transmission fluid in the funnel. When the fluid coming out and going into the bucket is clean shut the engine down. Reconnect the transmission and radiator line. Start engine and check the fluid level adjust as needed through the dip stick fill port. It you have to much fluid disconnect the radiator line and let it drain out some from both sides. It's best to have 2 people one to dump fluid in and one to start/stop the engine and check fluid color. I'm thinking the it's about 1.5 gallons you'll need

You basically described a flush. That is what a flushing machine does.
triz

Post by triz »

Plarka wrote:

Awesome! What about changing the filter? I've heard it's not much good changing the oil if you're not going to change the filter.
Correct. You want a new filter. You also want to make sure they change the filter seal inside.
Plarka

Post by Plarka »

So do I not want to do what that person described, which is basically a flush?
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Yes change the filter also. A flush implies use of chemicals or force. Change over happens with normal fluids and pressure. If you flush the transmission on regular intervals (say every 50K or so) then it's fine. But if it's never been flushed you run the risk of breaking some build up loose and causing bad things to happen on higher mileage cars.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop