Looking at Possible Engine Swap iZZ to 2ZZ

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
SonOfACar25

Looking at Possible Engine Swap iZZ to 2ZZ

Post by SonOfACar25 »

First post, so bear with me -

What are some of the do's and don'ts when looking at the engine swap? I currently have an '04 AWD/Base, and was looking for some more power. Are there any difficulties/conversions or fabricating necessary for the bigger engine? Would it mount in just like the iZZ? Would I even want to, or be better off looking at upgrading the current? I was curious if the AWD would conflict with the bigger engine.

Thanks!
Salsa Guy

Re: Looking at Possible Engine Swap iZZ to 2ZZ

Post by Salsa Guy »

You are screwed a couple of ways. The 2zz will not bolt up to the AWD Transmission. Also the AWD 1zz engine has a special block so a FWD 1zz engine won't bolt up either. A guy on this this site did a FWD 1zz Block to a AWD Transmission but it was a pain. It could be done but requires a lot of fabrication. Once you get that together now you'll need to deal with the engine/transmission management. The best route is to find a wiring harness and ECU from an AT 2zz Vibe/Matrix but then again there could be issues. Although the 1zz AT harness could be modified for the 2zz but goodluck on finding the AT 2zz ECU...very rare.

If you want more power find a TRD SC with a TRD ECU (MT/AT will both work). $1500 for a good complete kit and you'll put down about 150+ hp, still 20hp less than a 2zz with a MT. A guy tried a Turbo but he had a MAJOR head ache with that.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Anyone know off-hand how much the stock AWD drivetrain can handle?
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
SonOfACar25

Post by SonOfACar25 »

Salsa Guy -- thanks a lot for the info. I knew that there were some quirks with these cars, as far as upgrading them. I'll look into the TRD supercharger (and start saving!)