Intake manifold gasket leak

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
dannyboy

Intake manifold gasket leak

Post by dannyboy »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could point me to a step-by-step on replacing the intake manifold gasket in my '06 AWD vibe. I've been getting a P0133 code pop up intermitently during the cold months and from reading here and elsewhere a lot of people seem to suggest checking it before replacing the O2 sensor. Any suggestions would be great, everyone on here is always helpful!
2006 AWD 'Stealth Grey'
My Garage
ColonelPanic

Re: Intake manifold gasket leak

Post by ColonelPanic »

Here's a video of it that I watched recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C57HESFxQfc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a DIY on another site:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-9 ... -pics.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course the above DIY link is for a drive by wire equipped 1ZZ, which you and I do not have. So the throttle bodies will be different, but still the same principle.

And last but not least, google EG045-07 and there's some TSB PDF's from Toyota on repair.

I have the new orange gasket ready to go on ours, it's not throwing any codes but idles at excessive speeds and will surge when cold. I recently bought a wifi OBD-II module and DashCommand for my iPad, monitoring the fuel trims on cold startup doesn't seem to be out of whack so I haven't bothered replacing it yet since I'm not 100% sure that is the problem.

Good luck!
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
dannyboy

Post by dannyboy »

Thanks, those are really helpful! I'm gonna do a test with carb cleaner when i get a chance just to try to get a more definitive confirmation of a leak. I'm also going to try to check the exhaust manifold for leaks too, she sounds kind of loud at idle. I'll post back once I have results.
2006 AWD 'Stealth Grey'
My Garage
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

it's not throwing any codes but idles at excessive speeds and will surge when cold. I recently bought a wifi OBD-II module and DashCommand for my iPad, monitoring the fuel trims on cold startup doesn't seem to be out of whack
Colonel: During the cold start the ECM is not using sensors to figure out the fuel air ratio, it is using programmed data. Once the engine warms up it will switch over to use the sensors. My Ford Windstar taught me that lesson. Some rubber grommets failed and leaked air into the intake manifold. It was alright while cold but as soon as the temperature rose the idle went up and down (loping) while the computer struggled to keep the engine alive with bad data from the MAF sensor.
Observe the data when the temperature gauge is starting to move.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
mr.clutch

Post by mr.clutch »

dannyboy, If your gasket has never been replaced you should replace it. I am from a family of 4 vibes with varying mileage. My 08 has 85,000 miles OEM gasket leaked in three cylinders. Younger brothers 05 has 130,000 miles OEM gasket leaked in three cylinders. Older brothers 08 has 100,000 miles flepro aftermarket replacement gasket no history on when it was replaced leaked on two cylinders. Moms 08 has 45,000 miles OEM gasket leaked in all four cylinders and was more brittle than the other three. You can try to spray cleaner all around if you want but with the way the intake sits on the engine I don't think you will be able too tell. I changed them all with no issues and it took aprox. 2 hrs. each including cleaning intake runners & valves along with completely washing the intake in soapy water. Just a added reason for changing the gasket MILEAGE for me jumped 2 miles a gallon. What ever you decide remember you can not over maintenance your car. GOOD LUCK Mike
Raven

Post by Raven »

This is most definitely on my to do list.
Thanks mr.clutch for your stats, pretty conclusive.
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

mr.clutch wrote:dannyboy, If your gasket has never been replaced you should replace it. I am from a family of 4 vibes with varying mileage. My 08 has 85,000 miles OEM gasket leaked in three cylinders. Younger brothers 05 has 130,000 miles OEM gasket leaked in three cylinders. Older brothers 08 has 100,000 miles flepro aftermarket replacement gasket no history on when it was replaced leaked on two cylinders. Moms 08 has 45,000 miles OEM gasket leaked in all four cylinders and was more brittle than the other three. You can try to spray cleaner all around if you want but with the way the intake sits on the engine I don't think you will be able too tell. I changed them all with no issues and it took aprox. 2 hrs. each including cleaning intake runners & valves along with completely washing the intake in soapy water. Just a added reason for changing the gasket MILEAGE for me jumped 2 miles a gallon. What ever you decide remember you can not over maintenance your car. GOOD LUCK Mike

Kind of low mileage on a couple of your Vibes, to have the intake gasket needing to be replaced. Makes one wonder if Toyota did not "cheapen" out on some aspects of the 1ZZ
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Nasmfell wrote:Kind of low mileage on a couple of your Vibes, to have the intake gasket needing to be replaced. Makes one wonder if Toyota did not "cheapen" out on some aspects of the 1ZZ
Plastic and rubber degrade over time, not just from use.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Normally the 05+ didn't have issues with the gaskets. Also there is a TSB regarding P0133 in the AWD Vibe/Matrix not sure if it included the 06 or not. It requires an ECU reflash. A P0133 isn't considered a bad code and not normally associated with a leaky manifold gasket.

Check this out

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=38037&p=479252&hilit=P0133#p479252" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

I changed the gasket in my '06 back in May with 47,000 miles.
It was a black one and it had a wavy segment that wasn't leaking but looke like it would soon.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

anybody know if the 2ZR corolla-Vibe has the "toyota pink" intake manifold gasket? I have had some minor performance problems and have been contemplating getting my PCV valve replaced. To get to it requires the removal of the manifold (thanks Toyota). So if someone told me that the '09 with 2ZR has the same old junky gasket as the first generation Vibe then I would be inclined to spend some money on the pink gasket and new PCV to see if my performance (and gas mileage) improved. Thanks.
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

lannvouivre wrote:
Nasmfell wrote:Kind of low mileage on a couple of your Vibes, to have the intake gasket needing to be replaced. Makes one wonder if Toyota did not "cheapen" out on some aspects of the 1ZZ
Plastic and rubber degrade over time, not just from use.
True, but does it not take a long time for this to happen?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Nasmfell wrote:True, but does it not take a long time for this to happen?
No, especially with the unkind conditions it's exposed to hugging on the engine head.

EDIT: And it's a 9-year old gasket. Isn't that a long time?
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
dannyboy

Post by dannyboy »

Wow, this started a lot of buzz, lol. I got the intake gasket ordered from Toyota, 35$. I'm gonna try the install myself hopefully in the next few weeks. Hopefully that'll fix everything, I have noticed my mileage takes a plummet during the cold season.
Salsa Guy wrote:Normally the 05+ didn't have issues with the gaskets. Also there is a TSB regarding P0133 in the AWD Vibe/Matrix not sure if it included the 06 or not. It requires an ECU reflash. A P0133 isn't considered a bad code and not normally associated with a leaky manifold gasket.

Check this out

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=38037&p=479252&hilit=P0133#p479252" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting note on the reflash, anyone know how much that runs? And does it get done at GM or Toyota?
I'm going to add a symptom; I've noticed that when its cold out and i first start the engine, when I shift to reverse the engine gets very loud. Only noticeable in reverse, no other gears and only when the engine is still cold, it goes away once its up to operating temp. Exhaust leak? Something like that would throw a P0133 code too I assume. I'd like to stamp out the possibilities that are cheaper to solve before looking at the O2 sensor.
2006 AWD 'Stealth Grey'
My Garage
Raven

Post by Raven »

$35.00 for the gasket? :shock: It should be around $5.00

Is stuff really that expensive on The Rock?
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

lannvouivre wrote:
Nasmfell wrote:True, but does it not take a long time for this to happen?
No, especially with the unkind conditions it's exposed to hugging on the engine head.

EDIT: And it's a 9-year old gasket. Isn't that a long time?
Yes it is
dannyboy

Post by dannyboy »

Raven wrote:$35.00 for the gasket? :shock: It should be around $5.00

Is stuff really that expensive on The Rock?
Lol for the most part, yes. Toyota just called and said they couldn't get the gasket because its a vibe so i called GM and they got it for 11.50.
2006 AWD 'Stealth Grey'
My Garage
dannyboy

Post by dannyboy »

ColonelPanic wrote: I have the new orange gasket ready to go on ours, it's not throwing any codes but idles at excessive speeds and will surge when cold. I recently bought a wifi OBD-II module and DashCommand for my iPad, monitoring the fuel trims on cold startup doesn't seem to be out of whack so I haven't bothered replacing it yet since I'm not 100% sure that is the problem.
So the gasket came today from GM, its a black one by AC Delco, part# 88969024. I'm guessing its the same as the one that is currently on my vibe, the original one. What is this "orange" gasket? Is it better than the original one? If so, does anyone have a part # for it?
2006 AWD 'Stealth Grey'
My Garage
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

The Toyota orange revised gasket is made differently to correct these failures. The black one will work just fine, it's what is already on there - but will eventually fail in similar fashion to your original one. Not likely to fail soon I would say. Just depends on how long you're keeping the car and whether you'll feel like going through this again years down the road.

The P/N I'm coming up with on the googles is 17171–22060. I have one in the shed waiting to go on so I can confirm if I have a moment.

Image Image
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

I installed 17171-22060 last month and used Permatex 85409 Ultra Rubber Gasket Sealant and Dressing on the gasket.
Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I3 ... UTF8&psc=1

While I had the throttle body off, I cleaned the carbon deposits off of the throttle plate too. Sprayed out the intake manifold as best I could before reinstalling.

Cold and damp weather starts have been much better and cold idle hunting is no longer a problem.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Good deal, ehoff121... What speed is yours idling at now when cold?

This one idles around 2,000 when cold and ramps up to 2500 briefly. The idle sometimes drops several hundred RPM's for a couple seconds then spikes back up. Quite often the maximum engine speed attained during my entire 30 minute highway commute happens in the driveway if I let the car warm up. :o

I had DashCommand running during some temps in the teens and 20's, the fuel trims are slightly higher. In the cold temperatures it's generally maxing out close to +20% which that seems a bit high but must still be within tolerance since it continues to not throw any codes.

Image Image
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

It was 60 degrees today in the Northeast, so I will have to get back to you on the cold weather idle speed, Colonel. ;)

Should be in the 30's next week...

You must really be light on the pedal- highway cruising RPM for me is 2,500-3,000. That's in an '05 AWD...
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Just as a baseline, 55 degrees this morning and I put the scanner on it while starting and then again at operating temp.

RPM's at start: 1,900 dropping steadily to 1,600 within two minutes.

RPM's at operating temp, idle w/ tranny in park, A/C blower off: 700 +/- 10 rpm

Ah hah moment of the day- the tachometer in the dash reads higher than the scan tool. Then again, I think the gauge needle is too large for the scale on the dial to be accurate, so look at the lower edge of the needle to get a closer read.

I didn't check fuel trims. Any other stats you'd like next time I plug in the scanner, Colonel?
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Thanks much for the stats! Very helpful, and it sure points out how this car has some issues. Once it warms up it's running about where your is - 700 give or take, so at least that is correct. ;)

When you replaced the gasket, where did you use the dressing? I need get off my (removed) and finally replace that gasket methinks. :D

Image Image
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

With the intake manifold off (after removing the old, oily gasket then cleaning the manifold and the engine block surface), I applied a thin coat of the dressing inside the channel for the gasket with a Q-Tip. I put on the new gasket then applied a thin coat of the dressing all along the gasket. The cross-section view of the gasket is a cross (+), so I ran a Q-Tip around both sides of the gasket ridge sticking out.
dannyboy

Post by dannyboy »

Just wanted to update; I finally got around to poking at the engine now that it's warmed up slightly. Didn't bother with the intake gasket change as over the winter she's developed a noticeable exhaust leak around the exhaust manifold which probably is the culprit behind the code. Will be posting in a separate topic.
2006 AWD 'Stealth Grey'
My Garage