Have any experience with Ralco's RZ shifter?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
KingGeorgeXIII

Have any experience with Ralco's RZ shifter?

Post by KingGeorgeXIII »

Hey folks. I introduced myself on this forum almost a year ago right after I bought my Vibe GT, but I haven't been back much since then, as the Vibe's been treating me well.

I have finally come down firmly on the "hate" side of the shifter linkage though, so I'm looking for an aftermarket replacement. I get hung up between gears at least once every time I drive it because of all the slop. The Ralco RZ looks reasonably priced, but I'm worried that it will be too short. I can't find any pictures of it installed. I found a picture of a TWR short shifter in another thread on GenVibe (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=37453&hilit=ralco+rz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), and I don't want that. My friends will get in the car and accuse me of being a Mad Tite Tokyo Drifter, Yo. Plus, I'm taking the car to my first open track day tomorrow, and if I keep doing that, moving the shift knob even farther away from the steering wheel is the opposite of a good idea.

So, my question to all of you is: Does the Ralco RZ shifter maintain a relatively stock look, and if not, are there any shifters that improve shift feel without sinking the knob down into the boot?

Thanks everyone.
lannvouivre

Re: Have any experience with Ralco's RZ shifter?

Post by lannvouivre »

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/produ ... ts_id=1195" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; How about this one?
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

I replaced the rubber shifter bushings with solid brass ones and it helped to clear up a lot of the slop. They're on the transmission side where the cables attach.

Inexpensive and easy. Do a search on ebay for 'matrix brass shifter bushings'.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
KingGeorgeXIII

Post by KingGeorgeXIII »

You know, I spent a bunch of time inspecting the bushings at the shifter, since that's what I had to fix in my last car, but I didn't think to check at the transmission end of the linkage. There's some rattling noise when I shift too... I'll have to check that out, thanks!

Does MWR publish anywhere just how much that shifter lowers the height of the knob? I can't find any specs, or even installed pictures.

(Side note: I'm pretty sure I meant to refer to "TWM shifter" not "TWR shifter" in the original post.)
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Send them an email and you'll probably have a reply Monday.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit