Check engine light - evap codes

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
lgerkin

Check engine light - evap codes

Post by lgerkin »

My 2005 Vibe has been to the mechanic several times over the last year and they can't seem to find the problem that's causing the check engine light to come on. They've replaced the gas cap, solenoid vent, canister vent vale and I've used fuel injection cleaner a couple of times. The codes that come up are evap codes. With each visit to the mechanic, the check engine light comes back on after a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
ehoff121

Re: Check engine light - evap codes

Post by ehoff121 »

Welcome to Genvibe!

If you could post the codes, there are plenty of knowledgeable members and professionals that could help.

My 2005 AWD had a similar problem and it tuned out to be a pinhole leak in a plastic hose that runs along the bottom of the chassis from the canister to the engine.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=37336#p417991
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
lgerkin

Post by lgerkin »

Thanks. I don't have the codes but will be taking it to the mechanic this Thursday and will mention that to him.
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Which codes do you have? And the 'solenoid vent' and 'canister vent valve' are the same thing. I think you meant purge solenoid and vent valve.
lgerkin

Post by lgerkin »

Just learned from the mechanic that it's not a mechanical issue, it's an electrical issue. He also ruled out a problem with sensors. He did some testing yesterday and thinks it may be the main computer. I'll take it back in a few days when the check engine light comes on again (which I'm sure it will) and he will either confirm or not. I don't have the codes but will ask him for them when I go back so I can post. The car has no driving issues at all, so I don't think it's urgent. I certainly don't want to replace the main computer if it's not necessary.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

lgerkin wrote:He did some testing yesterday and thinks it may be the main computer.
This sounds highly unlikely. The mechanic at the dealer that did my repair (his wife owns a Vibe!) had a hard time with the diagnostics because the trouble codes are not specific to one part. Just because it keeps throwing a code doesn't mean the computer is bad. It's more likely the problem is still there...

Did he test the plastic tube for leaks?
KingGeorgeXIII

Post by KingGeorgeXIII »

I agree with ehoff121. It's extremely unlikely that your ECU has failed, and I'm an OBD-II calibration engineer. I don't work for Toyota though, so there's some speculation involved in any advice I give you.

You can get your codes scanned at most auto parts stores for free. You can also get a bluetooth scan tool that works with a smartphone from ebay for ~$25, or a stand alone unit for a pittance more. Post your codes and I'll try to give you some advice.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

He needs to quit dawdling and check the tubes for leaks. You know, if he screws up and replaces the ECM when it is not the ECM, you do not get your money back for the ECM.

EDIT: The reason it comes on after a few days is because the EVAP system test takes place 6 hours after the car has been turned off. It is unlikely the ECM has a fault in it, that's NOT as common as an EVAP leak. I think your mechanic just doesn't have the stuff to test for an EVAP system leak.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
arthur13206

Post by arthur13206 »

I am having my Vibe towed to the Garage. For the third time in 3 weeks my Vibe will not work. Appears to be the same problem 3 times in a row. The engine runs about 5-10 minutes then it idles poorly and looses power. After it looses power it never goes faster than 5 MPH and will not clime the hill into my driveway. When I rev the engine it will only go up to 2K rpm.

The first time the garage replaced the Throttle body. The second time they replaced the Power Control Module. I seems to work fine when I pick it up then the engine light comes on. It runs OK for a few days then dies. The problem keeps coming back after about a week. Anybody have this happen? I tried to search my problem here but can't find anything so far. Any ideas?

Opps I forgot to give info on the Vibe. It is a 2005 base model with 1.8 L engine and 5 speed stick.
Last edited by arthur13206 on Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Without the diagnostic info, it's more difficult to diagnose.

Several things can cause rough idle, but being limited to 2000 rpm sounds like "limp" mode.

If you could post trouble codes, it would help us to help you...

EDIT: From a quick search of your posts, you have an '05 base that had some evap codes right after you got it. There have been no other issues since Sept 2010? I wonder what they did to fix it back then? Or have you been driving around with the light on?
arthur13206

Post by arthur13206 »

Same car different problem.

The original problem in 2010 was a cracked charcoal canister. That didn't seem to interfere with the function of the vehicle but I did get it fixed. There were several relatively trouble free years with no engine light. Just regular maintenance and brakes.

The Garage did not make note of the trouble codes on the invoice so I don't know what they are. Guess I Should of had an auto parts shop do a reading for me.

Odd thing is that today I was warming up the car while shoveling the snow off of it and scraping the windows. After about 5-10 minutes of idling it began to idle rough. When I got in to drive there was no power and it was limited to 2000 rpm.

Just now I turned the engine on again and it appears to be idling normally. I'll see if it acts up again in a few minutes.

Yup after about 10 min. of idling it acts funny again. It appears to function normally until the engine gets warm. This time the idle fluctuated between 800 and 1200 rpm then it died. Now when I try to start it fires then dies.

EDIT: Opps I forgot to give info on the Vibe. It is a 2005 base model with 1.8 L engine and 5 speed stick. I took it in for a recall 2 or 3 years ago. I believe they replaced the ECM.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Several things can cause rough idle, but being limited to 2000 rpm sounds like "limp" mode.

If you could post trouble codes, it would help us to help you...

EDIT: From a quick search of your posts, you have an '05 base that had some evap codes right after you got it. There have been no other issues since Sept 2010? I wonder what they did to fix it back then? Or have you been driving around with the light on?
lobi

Post by lobi »

We all will be guessing without the check codes.

For a quick and possible check, disconnect your MAF then start it and see if it runs any better. Power will be limited with a faulty maf. Of course this will trigger a maf code but will go away or can be reset when they check your codes.
I spent most of my life hunting and fishing, the rest I just wasted.