Check Engine & VSC Lights

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
4mySon

Check Engine & VSC Lights

Post by 4mySon »

So, my son sends me a message saying the check engine light and the VSC lights are on in his 2009 Vibe. I came here and did a little searching - which prompted me to check the gas cap to make sure it was on correctly. Sure enough, it was just sitting on there, not even flush or tighten the least bit. After driving it around 5 miles or so, the lights are still on. Should I worry? Will the light go off after a bit?

Hoping there is no bigger issue! TIA.
trb

Re: Check Engine & VSC Lights

Post by trb »

Probably nothing to worry about. I don't like how they use scare tactics on drivers now by turning everything off if there is one little thing wrong. I guess it is to scare them into going to the dealer and paying $$$ for a diagnostic scan. :evil:

The light will stay lit until the computer runs another test on the gas cap, unless the code is manually cleared by a code reader. My 03 did it too, and it stayed on for a couple of cycles after I tightened it, and then I manually cleared the code. I ended up getting a new cap on mine since it was the original and it seemed to be not so tight.

Good luck!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
4mySon

Post by 4mySon »

trb wrote:Probably nothing to worry about. I don't like how they use scare tactics on drivers now by turning everything off if there is one little thing wrong. I guess it is to scare them into going to the dealer and paying $$$ for a diagnostic scan. :evil:

The light will stay lit until the computer runs another test on the gas cap, unless the code is manually cleared by a code reader. My 03 did it too, and it stayed on for a couple of cycles after I tightened it, and then I manually cleared the code. I ended up getting a new cap on mine since it was the original and it seemed to be not so tight.

Good luck!
Thanks for your response! How would I manually clear the code? Is it an easy procedure?
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

You can clear the codes by disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds or more.
Take the opportunity to clean the posts.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
4mySon

Post by 4mySon »

circuitsmith wrote:You can clear the codes by disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds or more.
Take the opportunity to clean the posts.
Thanks!
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Toyota's ECM runs the EVAP system check after 6 hours of sitting and not being driven.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

circuitsmith wrote:You can clear the codes by disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds or more.
FWIW, you really only need to disconnect the negative battery cable ;).
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

vibenvy wrote:
FWIW, you really only need to disconnect the negative battery cable ;).
You can also instantly clear them by disconnecting both terminals, touching the cable terminals to each other so that the current still in the car has a path to run through and exhaust the capacitors. Or so I have been told.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
leaster1939

Post by leaster1939 »

I had the same problem a year ago. It was accompanied by the loss of drive. Turning off the VSC seemed to help but the problem came back just before Xmas. The lights never went off but it would drive OK with a little slip between 2nd and third. While out of town it failed again and I had to a seek help. After a lot of checking with independent and GMC people, I finally discovered the problem.
It seems that the 2008 and 2009 Matrix and Vibe had a poorly designed valve body in the transmission. The material would wear causing the transmission to slip. A simple rebuild would not correct the problem. The valve body has to be replaced with one of a more recent design. $3700 later I got my Vibe back and it runs like a new car. No codes and shifts smoothly.