Some help!!

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
gilly44

Some help!!

Post by gilly44 »

And I Have searched!! Vibration in "D" and "R" only at around 1100rpms. Replaced the belt tensioner twice with ebay ones.. Then thought it was alternator, but after replacing with a new one no change!!
Does not vibrate with belt off!!

Should I buy an OE replacement tensioner and try that again, all other pulleys seem okay!!

Also replaced rear motor mount!!

Thanks a ton for any help!!

2007 vibe
Chiadog

Re: Some help!!

Post by Chiadog »

How long have you owned the car? Did the vibration start after the motor mount replacement? What is the frequency of the vibration, is it a buzz or is it a wobble or shake in the steering wheel? Doesn't sound like a tensioner to me.
gilly44

Post by gilly44 »

I owned car for 6 months.. Vibration was there before motor mount was replaced.. the noise is definately a vibration that only happens at 1100 rpms any higher or lower and its not present.. I took it to a shop at they checked all pulleys. Today when i took belt off it did not do it when I started car and put it in gear!!
triz

Post by triz »

Was the motor mount replaced with a oem or aftermarket? Some aftermarket motor mounts don't respond well below a certain rpm. My Trailblazer needs OEM mounts.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Yeah, sounds like it could be a motor mount/misalignment problem Possible accident damage, if it was doing it when you bought it. still I'd closely recheck all pulleys and put on a new serpentine belt. Also recheck all motor mounts for frame-on- engine contact. look at the exhaust system also.
Are you brake-torquing the car to get 1100rpm's or is the car in motion without brakes when this happens?
gilly44

Post by gilly44 »

It was not doing it when I purchased. Yes I am brake torqueing vehicle to hear this at 1100rpms. Serpentine belt is new!! Is their a difference in belt tensioners off of ebay compared to an OE tensioner?? I will check mounts and pulleys again. Thanks for everyones time!!
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

I'm sticking with motor mounts and/or exhaust system. For me, it's not a problem until it does it without brake-torquing it. I'd still look closely at the pulleys.
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

I'm assuming it happens whether the car is moving or not.
Leaning towards motor mount, there are 4; Front, Rear, Top Passenger Side and Transmission.
I've heard of failing top passenger mounts before, try and wedge a screwdriver between the mount and body of the car and see if there is any twisting/movement.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
gilly44

Post by gilly44 »

Well its fixed.. Put my third belt tensioner on but this time an original equipment one. Vibration is now gone. I guess I would have never thought that the ebay ones I bought wouldn't work. Live and learn.

Thanks for all the help!!!
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

gilly44 wrote:Well its fixed.. Put my third belt tensioner on but this time an original equipment one. Vibration is now gone. I guess I would have never thought that the ebay ones I bought wouldn't work. Live and learn.
Thanks for all the help!!!
That makes two of us! Can you see any difference between the two tensioners? Thanks for the follow-up.