VIBE EXHAUST HELP!!!

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
TreFatKids

VIBE EXHAUST HELP!!!

Post by TreFatKids »

Has anybody used or is using a glasspack for their muffler? Or any other aftermarket muffler? If so let me know what it is and how it sounds! Thanks a bunch!!!!!!
Raven

Re: VIBE EXHAUST HELP!!!

Post by Raven »

Magnaflow catback with DC Sports header and Cosmo Racing CAI. It sounds excellent with no resonance or ricey rasp. Nice rumble (for a 4 banger) at idle.
TreFatKids

Post by TreFatKids »

Get the Matrix XR-S header right? For a GT Model?
Raven

Post by Raven »

Yes,Celica GT also.
KingTen91

Post by KingTen91 »

Is there anything different between Mangaflow pipe and three pipe they sell at advance auto for exhaust, I was just thinking other than the muffler why would I need to buy this full kit for a couple thousand when I could just buy a Mangaflow muffler and get my own pipe and bend it myself, is this doable or is just a better choice to spend the extra and go with their kit
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

You only need wider pipe if you're increasing the horsepower output of your engine considerably. I recommend just getting a muffler in the stock pipe size and having a shop weld it in. You should spend about $50-70 having the muffler added in if they have to fabricate any pipe. Get an estimate first and shop around, asking to see examples of their welds. Some welders are far, far better than others. You can also choose mufflers besides Magnaflow; search around online for people suggesting mufflers with good sound and flow for an inline-4 cylinder engine. You can also ask the shop guys--NOT PARTS STORE, exhaust shop guys!--what they recommend.

When you pick out a muffler, be sure to look up "<brand name> defective muffler" before you commit. Warranty will not ever cover installation.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Raven

Post by Raven »

http://www.hottexhaust.com/search.php?s ... uery=15759 Stainless steel resonator, pipe, polished muffler and tip, $552.39 with lifetime warranty. In 2006 I got mine for under $300.00.
It was replaced under warranty in 2011 when a weld failed on the muffler.

I had a system welded up for me on my '04 Vibe. Ebay resonator(beautiful quality) stock pipes and a Magnaflow muffler. I think it was around $200.00 all in.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I agree with Raven. I had a Magnaflow catback exhaust (#16849) installed on my 2009 Vibe GT about a month and a half ago and I am in love with it. It's all stainless steel, 2.25" mandrel bent piping, oval bodied muffler and polished 4" tip. I was very impressed with the quality of all the parts and my exhaust guy said the fitment and quality was great when he installed it for me. The sound is great for a 4 cylinder engine. It's got a little growl to it when you step on the gas, but when you're just cruising it pretty much sounds stock. There's no annoying raspiness or "ricey" sound. The only other engine mod I have is a K&N short ram air intake with an AEM Brute Force Dryflow air filter and an AEM air filter wrap. I also recommend ordering from Hott Exhaust. They have a link on their homepage where you can contact them for discount codes. I did this and they emailed me a code that saved me around $150.00. They also have free shipping. I ended up paying $440.78 shipped. This was way cheaper than anywhere else, including eBay.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I think the stock size is 2.25". I spent $20 on a DC Sports tip, $40 on a Thrush muffler, and about $50 on installation. $25 will be my cost to have the DC tip actually welded on. I had a Magnaflow muffler before and the Thrush drones less on the highway, not to mention the core detached in the Magnaflow and from what I read, the warranty replacements tend to have the same problem.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

lannvouivre wrote:I think the stock size is 2.25". I spent $20 on a DC Sports tip, $40 on a Thrush muffler, and about $50 on installation. $25 will be my cost to have the DC tip actually welded on. I had a Magnaflow muffler before and the Thrush drones less on the highway, not to mention the core detached in the Magnaflow and from what I read, the warranty replacements tend to have the same problem.
The OEM exhaust piping on the 2009 Vibe GT looks pretty huge compared to my former Sunfires, for example, but it's definitely still smaller than 2.25".

Unfortunately for the 2009-2010 Vibes, Magnaflow is the only company that makes a muffler that mounts the same as the OEM muffler (inlet and outlet on the same side - *click my signature picture to go to my Garage thread and see the pictures I just posted yesterday of the exhaust installed*). So far, I am very happy with the Magnaflow. I was worried it would be too loud and obnoxious because I had a Magnaflow catback on my former 2002 Sunfire GT and it sounded horrible, but there are a lot of differences between the two vehicles and fortunately, the Vibe sounds amazing. I was sure to fill out the warranty information via Magnaflow's website as soon as I got home from having the exhaust installed though... should anything happen...
DejaBoom

Post by DejaBoom »

Ok I'm looking for some underside shots of a stock vibe exhaust system. So i know what I need to buy to replace mine, i don't have access to a lift have to rent one, but want to know exactly what i need before i go for it. I think the break is on the pipe that drops down from the manifold, there is that first flange/joint its rusted/broken right there. On the good side it sounds custom, bad side my MPG's have suffered. Any help pics ideas? Some of the exhaust options i've seen are Astronomically priced....

2005 Pontiac Vibe Moon & Tunes Monsoon
82,000mi