"Beep" When Shifting into Reverse

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Zimm

"Beep" When Shifting into Reverse

Post by Zimm »

Somebody here is bound to be an expert on this random topic, so here goes...

For the last month or 2, when shifting my 2010 base w/ AT from park into reverse, I will often hear an audible "beep" inside the cabin. it is not the same beeping noise as say, the seatbelt alarm. it is quieter and of a lower tone. i get a single beep, then nothing. it doesn't happen all the time-maybe 2 out of every 3 times. it only seems to happen just after startup, and only when going from park to reverse. nothing if i go from park to D, and nothing after i back out of my driveway or parking spot and into D. no other symptoms or driveability issues.

car is at about 65,xxx miles and has never had any significant drivetrain service. i'm thinking about a trans drain/fill next summer. fluid level was fine when i last checked, but i'll admit that was a while ago.

i know that these cars are totally beepalicious. this is the first with an indeterminate source.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
sideshowalan

Re: "Beep" When Shifting into Reverse

Post by sideshowalan »

Did you or a previous owner ever install an aftermarket security system/radio?
Do the 2nd gen vibes have any 'maintenance reminder' beeps?

I can't think of anything else that would cause a 'non-factory beep'.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

sideshowalan wrote:Did you or a previous owner ever install an aftermarket security system/radio?
Do the 2nd gen vibes have any 'maintenance reminder' beeps?

I can't think of anything else that would cause a 'non-factory beep'.
thanks for the reply. i too wondered if there were some sort of maintenance or broken part beep.

FWIW, the car is 100% stock. no add ons or tinkering.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread out of sheer curiosity...
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

after a week or so of no beeps, i got 2 today. one when "cold" starting, the other, not so much.

the only thing i can think of is that it might be more likely to happen when i quickly move the shifter into place as opposed to doing it more casually.
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

Could it possibly be a 'squeak' instead of a 'beep? Maybe something is rubbing in the shifter linkage.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

sideshowalan wrote:Could it possibly be a 'squeak' instead of a 'beep? Maybe something is rubbing in the shifter linkage.
good question. my initial thought would be no because it's absolutely uniform every time, but i will definitely be testing to see if quick shifting is related, and will definitely be listening more closely to the noise.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

sideshowalan wrote:Could it possibly be a 'squeak' instead of a 'beep? Maybe something is rubbing in the shifter linkage.
Or the brake hardware just rubbing only creaking out of reverse? Possibly even the exhaust getting pushed back when the engine rocks when shifting, the insulators can make a perfect beeping noise at times and I can't stand it but am too lazy to jack up the car and lube them.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

i finally figured out what it is! those of you who suggested a squeak were right. the sound is coming from the lock in the tailgate, squeaking as it closes when the car is shifted into gear. i happened to be standing by the back of the car today when i locked the doors via fab, and heard it quite clearly.
GOF

Post by GOF »

Wow! That's an odd one. Thanks for updating the thread.
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

Thx for the update on that

My suggestions was gong to be getting several people stand at various places around the vehicle and listen. Someone would likely be closer to the sound and hear it 'differently' to help pinpoint
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Mystery solved!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage