(SOLVED)HELP!!! K&N AIR INTAKE!! HELP!! 2003 Vibe GT

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
TreFatKids

(SOLVED)HELP!!! K&N AIR INTAKE!! HELP!! 2003 Vibe GT

Post by TreFatKids »

I just installed a K&N air intake on my 2003 Vibe GT, and if anyone out there has done the same I could really use your help!! On the stock air box there was a blue cord plugged in towards the top into the blue socket, with this K&N air intake there isn't a place to plug that into, is that a problem? or no? Thanks!!!
Last edited by TreFatKids on Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImUrOBGYN

Re: HELP!!! K&N AIR INTAKE!! HELP!! 2003 Vibe GT

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

It it possible for you to snap a couple helpful pics? I don't have access at the moment to the vibe so I can look.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
TreFatKids

Post by TreFatKids »

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag3 ... cofbji.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is where the cord would plug into on the stock airbox
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

That's the vacuum switching valve. You'll have two hoses on it, one from the EVAP canister at the rear of the vehicle, and the other supplying vacuum on the intake housing, tube, or manifold. As for the electrical plug, you may have to look around the driver's side of the engine bay until you find it.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
TreFatKids

Post by TreFatKids »

Would you plug it in anywhere with the K&N air intake installed?

Current set up http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag3 ... b4j9em.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by TreFatKids on Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

What's the plug for it on the airbox look like? I don't have a GT.

The instructions should have directed you to ziptie that VSV (vacuum switching valve) to something so it doesn't flop around.

If your car will start and run without it, it's probably fine. Probably. Can you take more pictures of the part of the set-up that you were focused on?
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
TreFatKids

Post by TreFatKids »

This is how I have the plug http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag3 ... bg7ov4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It just has a rough idle.. It even sometimes stalls on start up and I just don't know if that plug would be causing that or not. It might just be the ECU learning how to handle the new air flow and such, I believe its installed correctly
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I see what's going on, now. Pull that part it plugs into off of the airbox and hook it to that plug, then hook the vacuum hoses back up to it. The part strapped to the airbox is the VSV and you actually do need it for the car to run well. What it does is suck the gasoline fumes from the charcoal canister and puts them into the intake to be burned. There will be a bung on the K&N intake for one hose from the VSV to hook to. The other hose that goes to the VSV will come from the back of the car.
TreFatKids

Post by TreFatKids »

What hoses go into that?
TreFatKids

Post by TreFatKids »

I have to openings on here, then 2 openings on the part I just connected to the blue plug http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag3 ... iv2bn2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/69-8601_inst.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hold ctrl and press F (cmd and F on a Mac)
search for "vacuum switching valve"
search for "PWM"

Those are your two parts you're having trouble with. If you did not buy the kit new, you may be missing some parts for dealing with the PWM switching valve and the VSV.
TreFatKids

Post by TreFatKids »

I got it all figured out, I had to study the installation pictures... Those directions were horrible! It runs perfectly fine now! I had the hoses in the wrong places