CV Axle play?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
snobum

CV Axle play?

Post by snobum »

Put a new CV axle in the passenger side. The old one came out hard, new one wasn't going in so I pinched the clip a little more together as was suggested on other sites. Don't recall if I heard the "click" or not upon inserting. Took out for a few drives and everything seems fine except I notice there's a little play where the gold rim of the axle and transmission meet, maybe an 1/8th of an inch? I thought maybe it wasn't fully seated in the transmission so I tried to take it back out but it's in there good! Couldn't get a crowbar in the best spot to try and pop it out but did get it in there a few times and it won't come out so am I assuming it's ok? There's no fluid leaking either in almost 80 miles of driving. Is it normal to have a little play like that on this side?
Attachments
axle.jpg
axle.jpg (108.88 KiB) Viewed 1026 times
sideshowalan

Re: CV Axle play?

Post by sideshowalan »

Is the play side-to-side (front of car to back), or in-and-out (driver to passenger side).
In and out play is normal but I don't think there should be any side-to-side.
Also, how does it compare to the drivers side play?
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
snobum

Post by snobum »

sideshowalan wrote:Is the play side-to-side (front of car to back), or in-and-out (driver to passenger side).
In and out play is normal but I don't think there should be any side-to-side.
Also, how does it compare to the drivers side play?
Just in and out play. It's solid front to back with no play. Drivers side is more solid.
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

Nothing to worry about then.
In and out play allows the wheel to stay the same distance from the transmission when it moves up and down. If there was no slack, the wheel would be pulled closer or pushed further away due to strut travel.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
snobum

Post by snobum »

sideshowalan wrote:Nothing to worry about then.
In and out play allows the wheel to stay the same distance from the transmission when it moves up and down. If there was no slack, the wheel would be pulled closer or pushed further away due to strut travel.
Thank you!
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

sideshowalan wrote:Nothing to worry about then.
Actually that information is incorrect. There is over two inches or play in the inner cv joint just for they purpose. There is supposed to be little or no play from the tulip to the transmission. The C-clips on these are very tight but they're supposed to be that way. I don't think you'll have any problems but If it were my car I would take it back out and expand the C-clip a bit. Otherwise I'd be constantly worrying about future leaks. But that's just me.