'09 GT Reduction of Power

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
seb0168

'09 GT Reduction of Power

Post by seb0168 »

I have an '09 GT Vibe that's been frustrating me. I recently moved from flat Iowa to Colorado Springs (elevation over 6k). With the change in elevation the car has lost its GT pep. I searched online about this and found mixed opinions. Has anyone driven their Vibe at higher elevations? Is there anything you've done to make it perform better? I've checked the air filter and it's fine.

I also swear the engine has been slower since I tried out (for the first time) the shiftable automatic feature two days ago. I could be losing my mind though.
2009 Vibe GT

2003 Vibe RIP
triz

Re: '09 GT Reduction of Power

Post by triz »

Any CELs?

Drop a bottle of Techron Concentrate before your next fill up and clean the MAF and throttle body at some point.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
seb0168

Post by seb0168 »

No lights have come on. That would make it easier to understand though!

I'll have to give what you suggested a try. Thanks for your help!
2009 Vibe GT

2003 Vibe RIP
triz

Post by triz »

Edited my last post if you did not have a CEL.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
dragon64

Post by dragon64 »

seb0168 wrote:I have an '09 GT Vibe that's been frustrating me. I recently moved from flat Iowa to Colorado Springs (elevation over 6k). With the change in elevation the car has lost its GT pep. I searched online about this and found mixed opinions. Has anyone driven their Vibe at higher elevations? Is there anything you've done to make it perform better? I've checked the air filter and it's fine.
Actually you head the nail on the head. It's the difference in elevation Much of Iowa is about 700-1100ft above sea level. Colorado is between 5000 and 10000ft. The air being much thinner at that altitude an engine or anything that burns fuel for that matter, either requires more oxygen or less fuel for complete combustion of the air fuel mixture. Unfortunately at these elevations the amount of energy released from combustion is much lower than lower elevations. Given this in Coloorado your engine is making roughly 87-93% of the power it was in Iowa. The only thing you can do to gain this power back is to force more air into the engine. When I was working in Johannsburg, South Africa and Mexico City which are at a similar elevations I noticed that the octane of gas there was higher than at the coast people there said it was higher so engine could run more ignition advance before the engine would knock how true this is with a modern EFI engine I couldn't tell you.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Manual - DBW controller, Hydraulic engine damper, S/S brakeline retrokit,22mm solid Rear ARB, urethane rear coil dampers, Front strut bar with brake cylinder brace, PIAA 410 driving lights, PRM Intake Wilwood front brakes, Lexus hood lifts
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

To bad you don't have a diesel, then high altitude would be no problem.
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

dragon64 wrote:When I was working in Johannsburg, South Africa and Mexico City which are at a similar elevations I noticed that the octane of gas there was higher than at the coast people there said it was higher so engine could run more ignition advance before the engine would knock how true this is with a modern EFI engine I couldn't tell you.
If ignition timing isn't changed octane requirements are lower at higher altitudes.
That's why places like Colorado sell 85 octane gas.
Regardless of altitude, higher octane fuel can allow more ignition advance.
But changing ignition is no longer as simple as adjusting a distributor.
2006 Matrix 5-sp