differences between the base vibe and the GT

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
WestC4

differences between the base vibe and the GT

Post by WestC4 »

could someone please help me out with the overall differences between a base vibe and a GT model. I know they have different hp ratings, so I am curious as to just how much different they are from each other. are the differences basically just ecm/pcm tuning, or is it more complicated as in different engine components (internal parts, external parts), gearing, etc? I'm pretty sure that from 03-08 all vibes used a 1.8L engine, and the 2.4 wasn't intro'd until 09, is this correct? if so then an 08 base vibe would have the same engine as a GT model, correct?

I appreciate the help and clarification
thanks
West C4
Derf

Re: differences between the base vibe and the GT

Post by Derf »

This should cover most of what you are looking for:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40003#p474445" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Several options depend on model year.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
trb

Post by trb »

Edit: Thanks Derf, I thought it was Kitt that did the comparison between the two on here, but from what I've read, the GT 1.8L is basically a completely different motor than the base 1.8L. I don't think there are many parts that will interchange between the two. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_ZZ_engine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The GT models also have 4 wheel ABS disc brakes and I believe some different suspension items and aluminum wheels standard.

Hope this helps!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
WestC4