Figuring out some issues

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
3cyltom

Figuring out some issues

Post by 3cyltom »

New member new owner figuring out some issues on my 03 vibe base. So far I've figured out that somewhere in its 204k miles someone swapped in a 6 speed gear box. It has lkq wrote on the trans. It has the original engine. Vin tag matches car. The previous owner either bought it wrecked or wrecked it in the front and patched it back together poorly. It's missing most of the splash guards. Back to topic, I'm pulling the engine. This one sounds absolutely awful. It makes a terrible rattle tick sound from the right front. I've already tried a new tensioner for the timing chain. To no avail. I pulled the timing cover and no obvious damage. So I'm headed to the pnp today for a new motor. Hope to get it running soon so I can take a test drive ( haven't drove it yet).
sideshowalan

Re: Figuring out some issues

Post by sideshowalan »

Have you tried a new tensioner for the serpentine belt, or is that you meant?
There is a light ticking noise that is supposed to come from the drivers front, caused by a vacuum line.

Be thankful you have a 6 speed swap already performed, the 5 speeds have a high failure rate.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
3cyltom

Post by 3cyltom »

This is beyond a light tick or small noise. This is a "(removed) the engine is gonna fly apart" noise. And I took the belt off and ran it before I took it apart. No difference in noise. This has to be a metal tap or tick. I struck out at the pnp today. So I'm gonna tear into this some more. And I need a clutch for this when I put the motor back in. Is there a difference in clutches between the 5 and 6 speeds? Rock auto lists them differently, but the specs look the same.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

my first 03 developed a tap, maybe more of a knock, turned out the rod bearings were shot. I replaced them with whatever the chain auto parts store sold, and if fixed the knock, was still good when I traded it in on a replacement 03 years later. It's a low cost thing to check, you can pull the oil pan with the engine in the car, take of the rod bearing caps one at time. A quick look at the bearings in mine and it was obvious they'd gone bad. When it goes back together, just use sealant on the pan, no gasket.

there's a company lkqonline.com, advertises themselves as "largest online selection of used auto parts", maybe the tranny came from them
Raven

Post by Raven »

Try these guys, they have 10 pages of them listed.

http://www.car-part.com/index.htm
3cyltom

Post by 3cyltom »

Got the engine in the trunk of my 2 door metro. Planned on takin it apart b4 I drop big $$ on a new (used) motor. Thanks for the advice. Will check berings soon.
3cyltom

Post by 3cyltom »

Figured out what exactly happened to this sad poor vibe. I'm guessing that the previous owner bought this vibe wrecked with a clean title. And he only put in a radiator (no fan) and ignored the size able dent in the oil pan. Which smashed the pick up tube against the pan. Which starved the motor for oil. Which trashed the rod berings and crankshaft. The rod for cyl 1 has no Bering left and both the crank and rod are trashed. It's new motor time. Now it's off to find a good used 1zz engine at a value price. I'm gonna talk to my boss (at the salvage yard) and see if I can get one from work.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

well, the good news is that pulling the engine wasn't a waste of effort ;)
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

UGH, I can't believe someone would do something so stupid...then again, there was a Mazda with a wiring hack job on it that...you know what, I don't even want to discuss it :shock:
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
3cyltom

Post by 3cyltom »

Yeah it's sad to see someone wreck a 1000 dollar motor for nothing. I just can't seem to find a value priced motor for one of these. Dang seriously the best price I've found so far is $650. And I'm not sure of the quality of that motor. Looks like this is gonna sit for a while. One of these days I'll find a gem somewhere for a price I can afford.