Sharing Info - Gates Tensioner Solutions Kit.

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Calata

Sharing Info - Gates Tensioner Solutions Kit.

Post by Calata »

Just sharing info as it's beneficial to others and I haven't seen anything specific about it.

After replacing the 3rd tensioner on the car (2006 model in my case) I purchased the Gates Tensioner Solution Kit for the Toyota Matrix. Gates part number 39068K2. Installation went smoothly with the exception that the belt that comes with the kit is too large. It may fit the Matrix but not the vibe (I'm told by Gates that the Matrix and the Vibe has differences in the packaging).

Long story short, the kit does work provided that you install the car's original belt size. Below is the breakdown of what's needed.

Gates brand Belt PN K060725 (original car PN, not included in kit)
Gated brand Alternator tensioner with spring dampener PN 39068
Gates brand Alternator ADP Pulley PN 37015P

Now, to be fair (I didn't know this at the time before purchasing the kit) you can purchase the ADP pulley and tensioner separately for $10 less than purchasing the whole kit (the kit belt is useless for us so you might as well purchase the components individually instead of the kit).

As for the tool 'required' for this ADP installation..... I purchased the took kit but it was a hassle to use it for the intention of getting the proper torque. The tool is not really needed. I used a standard impact gun on low to secure the ADP coupling to the alternator.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

P.S. I'm also told by Gates that they now supply Toyota directly with the kit for installations. How accurate or true this info is I don't know, just posting it out here in case someone has the time to look into it.
Attachments
Gates installation instructions.pdf
(467.3 KiB) Downloaded 138 times