Reverse grind...

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
kaflex

Reverse grind...

Post by kaflex »

Ever since I bought my 03 GT about a year ago I had a problem. Almost all the time when I put the car into reverse, with it running, it grinds. I tried double clutching and still happens, only in reverse. Somebody said that it could be the synchronizer for reverse. Is there anything that I could check or should I just end up taking it to a shop? I try not to use reverse, and If I know I have to, I'll park it in reverse.

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gtv237

Re: Reverse grind...

Post by gtv237 »

The interesting thing is reverse doesn't have a synchronizer. That's why you have to be at a stand still to shift into it. Either way, it will have to be taken apart to fix.
Flip-Side

Post by Flip-Side »

Gear damage possibly, but can be many things including a clutch that needs to be bled. Toss in some Redline MT-90 gear oil if you don't plan to fix it. I had bad reverse grinding in my xrs, and the new fluid did help a bit. If you have never changed the fluid before, then I would highly suggest you do so. The molybdenum in MT-90 helps smooth lips and burrs over time, and it really helps with worn toyota c60s.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
kaflex

Post by kaflex »

I never had the fluid changed, but the dealer where I bought it had all fluids changed and a new clutch installed. I only had the car for about a year now and it never let me down yet.

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

gtv237 wrote:The interesting thing is reverse doesn't have a synchronizer. That's why you have to be at a stand still to shift into it. Either way, it will have to be taken apart to fix.
I was going to say...of course, the only manual transmission I've been in to is a Muncie M17, but I didn't think the reverse gear would have a synchronizer.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit