Whine from rear drivetrain

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
woodyg

Whine from rear drivetrain

Post by woodyg »

Please move this if I posted in the wrong forum. I recently developed a whine from the rear of the vibe. I just changed the rear diff and transfer case gear oil to see if that helped. It did not, seems to be getting worse. I don't recall any crazy amount of metal on the magnet and the fluid was dirty. both diff and transfer case had the correct amount of oil in them. I have investigated the issue myself and have not found anything obvious. I think I will bring it to a local indy shop I use and see if they will put it on the lift and notice something. I have heard it could be a rear wheel bearing or the rear diff. the humming happens above 30 and does not change when gliding in neutral. all thoughts are appreciated. TIA!
2006 vibe, White, 1zzfe, auto, AWD, PW, PL, CC, AC, 192,000 miles....(07/14/2014). been working on my cars for many years. I am an OK backyard tech.
sideshowalan

Re: Whine from rear drivetrain

Post by sideshowalan »

You can determine if it's the transfer or wheel bearing by gently swerving back and forth while the noise is happening. This shifts the weight around and a bad wheel bearing will get louder and quieter depending on it's load. If it is the wheel bearing, the bad side is the one you swerve away from when it gets louder. So a loud noise when swerving left means a bad right bearing.

Can you give us the model year, mileage, when the transfer fluid was last changed out?
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
woodyg

Post by woodyg »

sideshowalan wrote:You can determine if it's the transfer or wheel bearing by gently swerving back and forth while the noise is happening. This shifts the weight around and a bad wheel bearing will get louder and quieter depending on it's load. If it is the wheel bearing, the bad side is the one you swerve away from when it gets louder. So a loud noise when swerving left means a bad right bearing.

Can you give us the model year, mileage, when the transfer fluid was last changed out?
thanks for the reply. I don't think it is the transfer case. I am suspecting either the rear diff or the wheel bearings. I tried the swerving thing and did not notice anything obvious. the car has 192k on it . I changed the gear oil when I bought it at 110k and I just changed it again to see if it would solve the issue. It did not. the Vibe is a 2006 AWD Auto.1zzfe
2006 vibe, White, 1zzfe, auto, AWD, PW, PL, CC, AC, 192,000 miles....(07/14/2014). been working on my cars for many years. I am an OK backyard tech.
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

Woops, meant to say differential.
Just checked the manual and it recommends 15K mile changes if you tow, no interval if you don't tow. Sounds like it needed a more frequent gear oil change in the rear then they recommended.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Have you used differential ring gear marking paint before? You could remove the diff. cover, use the marking paint, and then check the pattern. Since it's already making a noise, if it's the ring gear/pinion pattern, it's to my understanding that it's too late to fix because the pattern is already made.

However, check the "simple" things first. Make sure it's not just a wheel bearing, which it looks like you already did. You can also raise the car off the ground and check the wheels for any looseness etc. Try varying the RPMs, gears (reverse as well). Make a note of how the sound changes and what conditions change it.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
woodyg

Post by woodyg »

My Indy threw it on the lift and ran it. You could hear the left rear wheel bearing acting up. I purchased a Timken from RA for $140. he charged $100 to install it. So far it seems to have cured the issue. Will know better when I get to drive it a little more. I have the old bearing and you can feel a little hiccup in it when you spin it. thanks for the help!

Anyone know if genvibe has a mobile app?