Antifreeze leak from here?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
crashbandit

Antifreeze leak from here?

Post by crashbandit »

I have a coolant leak in my recently purchased 2007 1.8L Vibe. The leak is coming from a bolt on the bottom of the water pump? I is a bolt that appears to have some kind of nipple in the center of the bolt. Can someone please tell me what this is for and if I should replace the whole water pump ( I think it's the water pump anyway!?) or can I just fix the existing pump. I would post the pic. I took of it but I can't figure out how to make it small enough to allow me to upload it. :(
crashbandit

Re: Antifreeze leak from here?

Post by crashbandit »

I did some Google searching on this problem and it sounds like what I am looking at is the weep hole on the water pump? All the posts I read say the water pump must be replaced. How difficult of a job is this? Can I do it myself? I have plenty of tools and I have a vehicle to drive while I do this. How long should it take an amateur? Any good DIY links you guys can give me? Thanks.
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

From a Google Search I did, the Expert said it should take about 2.2 hours, with no problems. After you jack up the car, safely,uou'll need to remove the splash shields on the bottom of the engine, remove belt, alternator, then water pump. If you can get a service manual, it could make the job easier. Good luck

Meant to add, drain coolant before removing the pump
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

You'll need to remove the drive belt, the alternator, and then the pulley from the water pump to access the bolts, according to the GM manual. Also says it's easier to get to the bolts from below. My recommendation is that if you lift the car, put it on jack stands. Don't use cinderblocks because they can crumble and you could be seriously injured. Probably you can put it on some ramps ("rent" them from AutoZone by buying them and then returning them) and get the space you need. When you install the water pump, you don't need to tighten the bolts hard. Says 8-9 ft lb. Pulley is 11 ft lb. ProDemand estimates 1.4 hours, so you should probably expect double that if you're green to this.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

I replaced one for the first time a few months ago and it took about 3-4 hours. Did everything from the top and didn't have to remove the pulley.
Hardest part was putting the alternator back on, couldn't get the bolts to line back up.

Remember to fill back up and bleed the air out of the cooling system afterwards.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)