Tranny fluid reccomendations

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
cloomis555

Tranny fluid reccomendations

Post by cloomis555 »

Im fixin to hit 200k miles on my 2003 Pontiac vibe. Ive replaced the tranny about 20k ago and just gonna do some preventative maintenance this weekend before taking a 3k drive. Im doin my oil and just did my brakes and alignment, I want to do my tranny fluid when I do my oil just so I have no worries when driving home. I want to use Pennzoil synchromesh. I have had it highly recommended to my by friends with civics, and toyos, etc. I just don't know if it will work with our cars, mine specifically is an 03 vibe base 5 speed. If yall could let me know if it will work and how many ounces or quarts it will take to refill. Im not doing the screens or dropping the pan just cause of lack of money for new gaskets and it should have just been done when they installed the new (used with 70k) tranny. thanks
cloomis555

Re: Tranny fluid reccomendations

Post by cloomis555 »

Also, since fluid is a question. Should I switch to full synthetic? I want to even if it being a bit more but will it hurt or benefit at all?
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

The gear oil in your transmission should be 75w90 fully synthetic. That is what came in the transmission when it was new, and that's what Toyota recommends.
The service interval on gear oil is 30k miles.

There are a few threads on this forum that suggest using the Toyota fluid or other brands. I prefer "Valvoline SynPower® Full Synthetic Gear Oil 75w90".
My mechanic put in the GM specific stuff last time, and I've not been happy with it. I'll be changing it back to the Valvoline stuff soon.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
triz

Post by triz »

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/VehicleL ... IAC+VIBE+8

Looks like your initial fill is 3.3 quarts. I would err on the side of preventive maintenance and change the filter if your not 100 percent sure if it was done. It's cheap compared to a new transmission. The filter holds all the crud and dirty fluid.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
cloomis555

Post by cloomis555 »

Thanks y'all. Found my !manual and it says the same. Although the website you gave me says 4pints for 5spd, that's 2 quarts. Am I reading that right or no?
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

="triz"I would err on the side of preventive maintenance and change the filter if your not 100 percent sure if it was done.
The 5-speed (or any other manual trans for that manner) has no filter.

I like RedLine MT-90
Last edited by circuitsmith on Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

cloomis555 wrote:Thanks y'all. Found my !manual and it says the same. Although the website you gave me says 4pints for 5spd, that's 2 quarts. Am I reading that right or no?
Yep, 2 quarts. I ended up with a little bit left over.
Also, only the automatic's have filters.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
triz

Post by triz »

circuitsmith wrote:[quote="triz"I would err on the side of preventive maintenance and change the filter if your not 100 percent sure if it was done.
The 5-speed (or any other manual trans for that manner) has no filter.

I like RedLine MT-90[/quote]

He mentioned filter so I assumed he had an automatic and not the manual.

I used the Redline briefly. I had trouble shifting in cooler weather, and it didn't withstand my spirited drives at the Dragon either. Some people like it. I personally didn't, after having it in the transmission for awhile and was recommended the GL-4. I converted as you can tell.

If there is a better product out there I will use it. Just was not the case here. I use Motul RBF600 brake fluid over the Amsoil just because it has better high temperature performance and boil offs temps for very spirited driving and racing applications. I do however use the Amsoil for my daily driver.
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
KingTen91

Post by KingTen91 »

I work at advance and we sell the purple power and Lucas. Purple power I'm not very familiar with but I've used other Lucas products and have always been pleased. Is it ok to use the Lucas or purple power gear oil in our tranny or is the redline or motul or amsoil more so recommended?
KingTen91

Post by KingTen91 »

Scratch that about Lucas, just remembered a post I read earlier today stating it's fine, still not sure if it's the best to use or not tho, anyone have any opinions there?
triz

Post by triz »

KingTen91 wrote:I work at advance and we sell the purple power and Lucas. Purple power I'm not very familiar with but I've used other Lucas products and have always been pleased. Is it ok to use the Lucas or purple power gear oil in our tranny or is the redline or motul or amsoil more so recommended?
You do know Purple Power is a de-greaser. No additives are recommended for the Amsoil. And hands down Amsoil makes on of the best products for transmissions.