Powertrain Warranty Expires soon - Any issues to check?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
weirdly

Powertrain Warranty Expires soon - Any issues to check?

Post by weirdly »

Just realized that my 2010 Vibe 2.4l (5 speed auto) is almost 5 years old (72,000 miles) meaning that the powertrain warranty ends next week.

As I don't know that much about car mechanics, I'm seeking the forum's advice for particular trouble spots I might want to check or have checked before the expiration date. I'm worried about the bigger things that can go wrong with the engine/tranny.

I bought the car about a year and have just given the car a couple oil changes. I feel the car has been driven a bit hard by its previous owners but everything seems ok.

After a week or two of many short trips, I do get some sulfur exhaust smell when the car is driven hard on the freeway. But I think this may be normal. Some very slight sqeeks and rattles.

I heard some rumblings about excessive oil consumption and leaks with the Vibe, but I don't seem to have noticeable oil loss (no drips on driveway). A friends Timing Chain Cover had a small leak on his 09 Corolla ($800 repair), so I am worried about this sort of thing.

Thanks again GenVibe for your wisdom.
joatmon

Re: Powertrain Warranty Expires soon - Any issues to check?

Post by joatmon »

I don't know if oil consumption is an issue for the 2nd gen vibes. It was on my first 03

You would likely only notice oil consumption by having the oil level significantly drop between oil changes. Guess that's why its important to check the oil level periodically. My first 03 got so bad I needed to add a quart after 1500 miles. (one of the reasons why I traded it for my second 03 vibe)

Can't think of anything to get checked, unless you were already having some noticeable problem, like an increasingly noisy engine, loss of power, hard shifting, check engine lights, etc
tpollauf

Re: Powertrain Warranty Expires soon - Any issues to check?

Post by tpollauf »

Basically, as already stated, if nothing looks OBVIOUSLY out of place, then celebrate it's 5th birthday and keep on driving :D My warranty just ran out last week but due to the very low mileage, it requires absolutely nothing and should remain that way for another 5 years! Junior's Vibe ran out over a year ago and also required nothing at that time. This was a very good question to be asked BUT because of your wise purchase you can simply continue driving ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"