Transmission doesn't want to go into reverse (sort of)

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
e9coupe

Transmission doesn't want to go into reverse (sort of)

Post by e9coupe »

I searched around but couldn't find anything related to the problem I'm having with the automatic transmission in my 05 Vibe. First off, all gears work fine once its completely in gear. Here's the symptoms...

- When you start the car and go from Park to Reverse it always works perfectly.
- After driving around and you pull into a place where you need to use reverse, you put the selector into (R) Reverse and the car tries to move in reverse but struggles, almost like the parking brake is dragging (its not) or its not quite into gear.
- If you accelerate a little bit while its struggling it acts like it pops into gear completely and it works fine.
- You can get it to work sometimes if you move the selector back and worth from Low to Park, Low to Park, then when it goes into Reverse it works good. It doesn't always work this way though.
- The last thing it does is when you stop and put it into Park, it feels like its not quite all the way out of gear. Physically the selector is in the correct position but the transmission still feels like its partially in reverse. Another way to describe it is that when you put it in Park and turn the engine off the car moves slightly like its still in gear.

Its a weird deal and I'm looking for some logic in solving the problem. Anyone else experience anything like this? Selector problem? Internal transmission problem? I did have the TCM recall service a couple years ago.

Dan
Nasmfell

Re: Transmission doesn't want to go into reverse (sort of)

Post by Nasmfell »

How's your fluid? How many miles? Your tranny may be going out, (hopefully that's not the case), but you're describing symptoms similar to "slipping" ( engine revs high, before gear is engaged), with a band or clutch. Check your fluid. If it looks black and/or smells burnt, then it will be new tranny time, unfortunately.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Sounds like the shift linkage is out of adjustment. I'm assuming the shift linkage on an 05 Vibe is adjustable! Never had to mess with it.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I think this might be helpful:
viewtopic.php?t=38144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

I just remembered that is is possible to bump the little plastic "PRND2L" indicator out of position, causing the indication to not match the actual gear! Good luck,
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Chiadog wrote:I just remembered that is is possible to bump the little plastic "PRND2L" indicator out of position, causing the indication to not match the actual gear! Good luck,

This is nice of you, to try not to alarm the OP that he may need expensive transmission work
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Nasmfell wrote:This is nice of you, to try not to alarm the OP that he may need expensive transmission work
You know, it's possible that he could add fluid and have no issues for a very long time. Not everything has to be total hopeless doom-and-gloom.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

lannvouivre wrote:
Nasmfell wrote:This is nice of you, to try not to alarm the OP that he may need expensive transmission work
You know, it's possible that he could add fluid and have no issues for a very long time. Not everything has to be total hopeless doom-and-gloom.

Very true, unfortunately that is not always with the case with something like a transmission.
e9coupe

Post by e9coupe »

Fluids are fine and transmission works like its suppose to once its in gear. It doesn't slip at any time and doesn't always have the problem, but its getting more and more frequent. It seems like a linkage problem or a selector problem but not sure its its external or internal to the transmission. I'll get it up on a lift soon but was looking for some things to check for.

We've put about 20k miles on the car since the first signs of a problem.

Dan
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

e9coupe wrote:Fluids are fine and transmission works like its suppose to once its in gear. It doesn't slip at any time and doesn't always have the problem, but its getting more and more frequent. It seems like a linkage problem or a selector problem but not sure its its external or internal to the transmission. I'll get it up on a lift soon but was looking for some things to check for.

Dan

That's good, all things considered. Hope it is not serious.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

e9coupe wrote:Fluids are fine and transmission works like its suppose to once its in gear. It doesn't slip at any time and doesn't always have the problem, but its getting more and more frequent. It seems like a linkage problem or a selector problem but not sure its its external or internal to the transmission. I'll get it up on a lift soon but was looking for some things to check for.

Dan
Try the adjustment procedure referenced in this link:
viewtopic.php?t=38144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
fdfidel

Post by fdfidel »

I was glad to find this post as I have the exact same issue with a 2005 Vibe with 132,000 miles on it. Fluid is clean and level is good. Trans works perfectly in forward gears. Only occasionally will it balk at going into reverse and when it happens it's as if the brake is on since when you give it some gas it tries to move. I have found that moving the gear selector to drive and back to reverse typically will fix the problem. Also noticed that when the problem occurs at start up it produces a low idle, not the typical rev up that you get when first starting the engine, almost as if the engine is under load like it is when it is in gear. I have also experienced the "in-Park-but not-in-Park" symptom. I had the ECM recall done and it did not change anything. Of course when I took it to my mechanic it was functioning just fine so he was not able to diagnose it. I would think that given the drivetrain commonality between the Vibe, the Matrix and the Corolla that this issue would be easy to find on the various websites but I haven't found anything other than this one. Any theories you can offer would be appreciated.
kroaler

Post by kroaler »

Did anyone find the problem yet? My vibe is starting to do this. 150k On the odometer. Its hesitates once I put it into reverse, if I give it a little gas it will rev up then slam into gear.
blue_can

Post by blue_can »

kroaler wrote:Did anyone find the problem yet? My vibe is starting to do this. 150k On the odometer. Its hesitates once I put it into reverse, if I give it a little gas it will rev up then slam into gear.
Late reply but this is symptomatic of either a sticky valve, low line pressure in reverse or sticking clutch/band actuation due to something sticking in the clutch pack or servo piston.

You can try adding some Lubegard additive to the transmission fluid - I have used it to free sticking valves successfully although that was in a transmission using Dexron 3. You would need to check if it is compatible with the Toyota fluid.

In the event of low line pressure this can be checked by attaching an oil pressure gauge to the line pressure tap and check the pressure at idle and stall against specs. Low pressure could again be something like a sticking valve connected with pressure regulation but could also point to other issues within the valve body/pressure regulator.
'07 Vibe