Power steering flush

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
jerry1977

Power steering flush

Post by jerry1977 »

Does anyone know proper way to flush power steering on Pontiac Vibe 2005. My fluid its completely black. Or better to ask it is necessary to flush it if there are no issues?
kumquat

Re: Power steering flush

Post by kumquat »

Jack up the front of the car to take weight off the front wheels.
Remove the hose clamp holding the inlet hose to the reservoir, then remove the hose and drain into a pan/bucket.
Put a plug on the inlet hose connection on the resevoir, then fill to COLD MAX.
Start the engine and run it at 1000 rpm. After 1-2 seconds more fluid will begin to discharge from the hose. Turn the engine off.
Add fluid to the reservoir to keep it above the COLD MIN level.
Turn the steering wheel from stop to stop but do not hold it against a stop.
Remove the plug from the reservoir and reinstall the hose and clamp.
Add fluid to COLD MIN.
Start and run the engine for 15 minutes, then turn off.
Remove the inlet hose and let it drain. If it's not clear yet, repeat the procedure until it is.
Then bleed the system.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Numerous video's on Youtube.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Because others may click here, let me add my experience from my failed attempt on a Toyota Highlander... :cry:

The power steering pump moves a LOT of fluid very quickly. It takes about 2 seconds for the reservoir to be empty when you put the return in a bucket. You may not be able to pour fluid into the reservoir fast enough to prevent air getting into the system or the pump from running dry (it will go through a quart of ATF in less than a minute) and you won't be able to shut off the engine and pour at the same time.

The bleed procedure is to turn the wheels to the extremes several times- this will make black circles on your floor if you don't raise the wheels.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum