Ported 2ZZ-GE Header

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
arrowracer76

Ported 2ZZ-GE Header

Post by arrowracer76 »

Hey all,

Well, I've done something again. And thought I'd show you guys what it is.

I ported my exhaust manifold! Anyone who's seen a picture of the stock 2ZZ or 1ZZ header knows that it is one of the most restrictive pieces of junk there is. Yet, the tubing routing is actually pretty decent.

So, like any college student with too much time on his hands, I set to work.

Here's what I started with. Never mind the carbon build up, it's minimal; maybe about 0.05" at most. But you can see the HUGE levels of restriction at the flange.

And here's how it evolved. I just need to sit down with a fine sanding drum and it will be looking good.

Here you can see a major change in the opening size. No more restriction!

And I just need to throw the manifold on a mill and take down the face of the flange a few thou and it's ready to race!

If anyone has thought about doing this themselves, don't. Unless you've spent time on a flow bench or have experience with porting/polishing, don't attempt this. It is very easy to take too much off in the wrong spot or even cause damage to other areas. I've been building racing engines for the past decade and have the right tools, safety equipment, and skills to make this sort of thing worthwhile.

If you're interested in having your header ported and polished, feel free to send me a PM!
2003 Pontiac Vibe GT
- Greddy E-Manage Piggyback
- Custom Axle-back Exhaust
- KW Suspensions Lowering Springs
- FUCKING STICKERS EVERYWHERE
thebarber

Re: Ported 2ZZ-GE Header

Post by thebarber »

ive run a ported exhaust manifold on my xrs AND my GT....good midrange-top end gains
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

I wonder how opening up the manifold has affected NOx emissions.
These engines rely on valve timing and exhaust backpressure to take the place of an EGR system.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
arrowracer76

Post by arrowracer76 »

circuitsmith wrote:I wonder how opening up the manifold has affected NOx emissions.
These engines rely on valve timing and exhaust backpressure to take the place of an EGR system.
Seeing as I've removed my catalytic converter, emissions are the least of my concerns ha ha ha.
2003 Pontiac Vibe GT
maaadtrip

Post by maaadtrip »

Beauty! Where in Ontario are you? I have to get under my GT and check out an exhaust rattle, if I end up replacing anything I may just think a bit more about this porting...
arrowracer76

Post by arrowracer76 »

maaadtrip wrote:Beauty! Where in Ontario are you? I have to get under my GT and check out an exhaust rattle, if I end up replacing anything I may just think a bit more about this porting...
Currently residing in the Barrie area. Although in September I'm moving to Guelph.

I'm all over Onterrible these days.
2003 Pontiac Vibe GT