2zz-ge rpm limited at 5100.

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
jperilllo

2zz-ge rpm limited at 5100.

Post by jperilllo »

No codes, no power after 5100, acts like engine not up to temp. Ecm?
triz

Re: 2zz-ge rpm limited at 5100.

Post by triz »

Hmm. I'd hook up a code reader anyhow and see if anything is pending. Could be a clogged cat.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
jperilllo

Post by jperilllo »

I've put 700 miles on new headgasket, great power and acceleration till 5000 rpm then limiter action.. power, no power, power no power. The cats are clear. No codes no history. Acts like 2zz-ge when cold..
arrowracer76

Post by arrowracer76 »

Is this an aftermarket head gasket that reduces or increases compression by any chance?

Are you sure the head gasket was installed facing the correct direction? It's possible that the head gasket could be in the wrong way and is blocking some coolant journals in the head/block interface.

Any other symptoms? Strange that it's not throwing any codes...
2003 Pontiac Vibe GT
- Greddy E-Manage Piggyback
- Custom Axle-back Exhaust
- KW Suspensions Lowering Springs
- FUCKING STICKERS EVERYWHERE
jperilllo

Post by jperilllo »

No other symptoms. .. runs really really smooth. Feel very confident in head gasket install. Airbag light blinking though. Any chance that's a connection?
arrowracer76

Post by arrowracer76 »

There's a recal on the passenger airbag deployment system, it's likely faulting and that is what is giving you the flashing seatbelt light.

But that wouldn't limit your power... I'm leaning towards triz's diagnosis of a clogged cat. Or any form of obstruction in the breathing system. Are you certain that all electrical connections were made when reinstaling the head? Maybe try doing a hard reset on the ECU. Just unplug the battery and let the capacitance drain from the ECU.

You're pretty much stuck until it throws a code or if someone else has had this issue.
2003 Pontiac Vibe GT
jperilllo

Post by jperilllo »

I figured soo. Was told maf could cause strange performance. But already cleaned it, no change. I owned a gt new ten years ago... loved it.... but when it was cold it would "limit" the engine at what I think was the same 5000 rpm until warmed up...just wondering if the ecm isn't getting the right sensor signals and thinks its not ready.
arrowracer76

Post by arrowracer76 »

Does the dash display the correct running temperature? The needle should be just touching the little temperature symbol on the gauge for VVTLi to initiate.

Check the coolant temperature sensor and all wires leading too and from it.

Actually... Did you remove the VVL solenoids from the head when you did the work on it? This could be an issue with the VVL solenoids. If they were swapped from side to side or installed incorrectly it would prevent VVTLi from engaging. Check the connection on the solenoids on the right and left side of the head. Also, check the oil pressure sensor above the oil filter. I've had issues where those break quite easily.
2003 Pontiac Vibe GT
triz

Post by triz »

Usually with a bad MAF you would probably have some stalling, even the car would probably shut off when you give it gas.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
jperilllo

Post by jperilllo »

Changed both oil sensors. Nothing. Are there two engine temp sensors? It hits the limiter so hard at 5000rpm like the fuel is cutoff.
beno4420

Post by beno4420 »

I'm having the same issue. I really could not of wrote it any better. Did you find the problem? Maybe I have your old car lol. 03 gt dark blue in Michigan