2004 GT VVTL not working

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
KJones

2004 GT VVTL not working

Post by KJones »

Was working fine a month ago. Clutch started to go out and was replaced. After break-in period I did my weekly check and no VVTL kick at 6K, just "flat" acceleration up past 7K. Have tried it on several occasions, and yes the engine was warmed up.

The car was throwing a code before I took it in about some emissions system, diags said it could be a pump, a hose, or a sensor. Didn't affect anything, VVTL was fine then. Mechanic found a vacuum hose not connected properly and that code isn't coming up anymore, check engine light hasn't lit since I got it back.

That's all that has changed, other than taking the snow tires off. Any ideas?

KJ
Salsa Guy

Re: 2004 GT VVTL not working

Post by Salsa Guy »

If it's not throwing a code that's a concern it should be a P1693. The VVTL will not engage unless the motor is warmed up. Check the connector on the right side of the engine just behind the TB. If it's ok pull the Actuator out and test to make sure it's working. You need a long extension to get at the 10mm bolt that holds it. Also you may need to remove about 4 Vac lines to get it out. Use some alligator clips where the black wire would be is +, and the blue is - on my 03, touch the other end of the clips to the battery. It should pull in. It that is OK you'll need to pull the actuator body off the motor to check the filter. 5 bolts and 2 nuts (2 of the bolts hold 2 ground leads) hold it on. The filter will sit in the engine block easily removed with your fingers. If it's plugged you found the problem. On mine the chambers were all gummed up. It hasn't hit Lift in awhile.

Good Luck
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
triz

Post by triz »

Might have went into safe mode when the code was on. How many miles and did you clean both OCV filters? If they are clogged they will keep you from hitting lift. Lift bolts on a 04 could be a problem but the 04 should have the newer versions.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
KJones

Post by KJones »

Thanks guys, may not get to this for a few days. Didn't even know about these filters, but found a nice walk through here: http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/t ... strainers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KJ
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Yea that's a good write up!
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
triz

Post by triz »

Keep us posted.
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
ken99287

Post by ken99287 »

Salsa Guy wrote:If it's not throwing a code that's a concern it should be a P1693. The VVTL will not engage unless the motor is warmed up. Check the connector on the right side of the engine just behind the TB. If it's ok pull the Actuator out and test to make sure it's working. You need a long extension to get at the 10mm bolt that holds it. Also you may need to remove about 4 Vac lines to get it out. Use some alligator clips where the black wire would be is +, and the blue is - on my 03, touch the other end of the clips to the battery. It should pull in. It that is OK you'll need to pull the actuator body off the motor to check the filter. 5 bolts and 2 nuts (2 of the bolts hold 2 ground leads) hold it on. The filter will sit in the engine block easily removed with your fingers. If it's plugged you found the problem. On mine the chambers were all gummed up. It hasn't hit Lift in awhile.

Good Luck

Salsa, you're saying the lift actuator is behind the throttle body? The link with the directions say the actuator is on the passenger side?

Can you confirm that it is on the driver's side (TB) or the passenger side?

I'm getting the p1693 so I'm going to clean it all up to try to get lift working!
Tight is tight, too tight is broke.
biyanpian

Post by biyanpian »

The lift actuator is on the driver's side, facing the air intake hardware.

The variable valve timing actuator is on the passenger side, facing the radiator.

I did this job myself on my 04 GT (both actuators and filters), and cleaned a lot of gunk out of the lift actuator and filter. I also used cotton swabs to extensively clean gunk out of the connected oil passageways in the head, and recommend doing this, since there was also quite a bit in there. Lift worked great afterward, and continues to. The valve timing actuator and filter were relatively clean, but there was also gunk in the connected oil passageways.
'04 Vibe GT, CAI, AEM EMS-4
ken99287

Post by ken99287 »

I found the lift actuator and cleaned it this morning. The actuator itself wasn't bad , but the filter was so very clogged. I have lift now, but it doesn't seem as "violent" as others have described.
triz

Post by triz »

Did you clean both filters?
ken99287

Post by ken99287 »

triz wrote:Did you clean both filters?
No, I haven't cleaned both filters yet. But I have discovered that the lift actuator area is the source of a pretty substantial oil leak I have only when running. I haven't taken it apart to figure out why yet, but I assume it's leaking from the actuator itself, I didn't tighten it down very hard because it has an o-ring. Is this a common place to spring a leak?
triz

Post by triz »

ken99287 wrote:
triz wrote:Did you clean both filters?
No, I haven't cleaned both filters yet. But I have discovered that the lift actuator area is the source of a pretty substantial oil leak I have only when running. I haven't taken it apart to figure out why yet, but I assume it's leaking from the actuator itself, I didn't tighten it down very hard because it has an o-ring. Is this a common place to spring a leak?
No its not. Did you pinch the o-ring perhaps?

Here is pic from a friends thread that I used on my swap.

Here is a link to a article on NewCelica. For some reason there is a problem with the server but it should come back up soon.

http://newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250432
ken99287

Post by ken99287 »

Oops, I forgot to update!

I guess the cab cleaner I used to clean the housing got onto the oil pressure sender. It was leaking oil out of the housing! A trip to advance and $8 later, the leak is gone! Thanks!
Attachments
14061746654232.jpg
14061746654232.jpg (81.08 KiB) Viewed 4415 times