07 vibe with engine rattle

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Artilleryman84

07 vibe with engine rattle

Post by Artilleryman84 »

Hi guys I'm a new member with a 2007 Pontiac vibe with 200,600 miles on it. I've taken really good care of my care but now I have a rattle that has developed. It doesn't seem to be coming from the block but from either the Alternator or water pump. Has anyone every heard this type of sound. Here is the link to my YouTube video.http://youtu.be/nurcP7mM_Uk
lannvouivre

Re: 07 vibe with engine rattle

Post by lannvouivre »

Remove the accessory drive belt and inspect all pulleys for lateral runout and make sure all turn smoothly, easily, and silently. They should not rock side to side perpendicular to how they spin. You won't need to inspect the crank pulley, likely, and you can't really spin it freely anyway (I have seen one that was having issues before, but from how smoothly your engine appears to be idling I don't think that's going to be your problem).

If you don't find any flaws with the pulleys, next start the car without the belt on. You can temporarily run the engine without the belt, but not too long as the alternator won't be recharging the battery and the water pump won't be moving the coolant. If the rattle is gone, it is definitely one of the belt-driven items: Alternator, A/C compressor, power steering pump, water pump, or belt tensioner. With the engine turned back off, spin the pulleys and stick a long screwdriver (metal end on the part you're inspecting) with the handle to your ear and listen to the component and the pulley turns.

Welcome.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Artilleryman84

Post by Artilleryman84 »

I pulled the belt and tried to hand spin the water pump. It seems there is a small play at high speeds. Is it common for the water pump to go out? The car has 201k so it's got a lot of miles on it. The alternator spun smooth where as the water pump felt rough.
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

I would also lean towards the water pump. I replaced one on an 08 that had ~90K miles a few months ago.
It made a loud growling noise while running and the pump felt a little rough when spun by hand.
Get a bucket under there when you change it out, even if you drain the radiator, the pump will spew out about a litre of coolant when it comes free.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

My water pump on the my 05 Trix got noisy at 130K. Mine never got that bad but it was rough. I replaced it not a tough job but remove the alternator to make life easy.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Artilleryman84

Post by Artilleryman84 »

How hard is it to fill it back up and get the air bubbles out. I'm just nervous about overheating the car. Anyone know of any good videos of water pump replacement.
Kamloops

Post by Kamloops »

Does it sound like marbles in a can? My bet it is the Serpentine Belt tensioner, pretty easy to replace I have done it twice on my 2003 Vibe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJnxY7kM18Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Artilleryman84 wrote:I pulled the belt and tried to hand spin the water pump. It seems there is a small play at high speeds. Is it common for the water pump to go out? The car has 201k so it's got a lot of miles on it. The alternator spun smooth where as the water pump felt rough.
How rough is it? It does feel slightly different from the alternator, you should feel something like the sensation of lubricated rubber rubbing together (no pun intended). Does it sound weird? Besides a rubber-on-rubber sound (very faint). Try and rock it perpendicular to the direction it spins.

Just want to be 100% sure on this, replacing parts unnecessarily really sucks.

EDIT: As for air bubbles, what I do on fillups with coolant is gently squeeze-bounce the top hose to burp out bubbles. Just drive it around the block a time or two and make sure it doesn't go above operating temperature (middle of the dial). I have done drains and fills on this car and a few others several times now and haven't had a vaporlock issue yet. Just make sure you watch it closely and don't open the radiator cap unless it's cooled for like 30 minutes.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit