Popping out of 5th gear

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Zach223elam

Popping out of 5th gear

Post by Zach223elam »

I have a 09 vibe get 5speed. It started popping out of 5th on my drive to work. What's wrong and can it be fixed easy of is it just junk. Where would I order parts to rebuild it or repair it.
tpollauf

Re: Popping out of 5th gear

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. Curious on a few things: Mileage? Are you the original owner? Climate? One of our Vibes is exactly what you have (the other an automatic) and we've had ZERO problems from day one :D Does this happen when accelerating or decelerating? Totally unrelated BUT years ago I had an old Chevy truck 250cid "3 on the tree" and 2nd gear would occasionally jump out of gear. It was probably an adjustment issue but I put it off and eventually lost 2nd gear for good. Then had to shift from 1st to 3rd just to drive it. Hopefully it's just a matter of adjusting the shifter mechanism. Keep us posted here
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Zach223elam

Post by Zach223elam »

Well it Oklahoma so we have every climate/season in one day. The car has 149'000 miles on it and I'm the second ower got it when it had 30'000. I drive a round trip to work Monday Thursday Friday 130miles. It only pops out a acceleration I can hold it in gear. I've got a 66 chevy II with a three on the tree I've had to drive it the same 1 to 3.
cloomis555

Post by cloomis555 »

Had the same issue on my 2003 5 speed. Figured it was a shifter cable or bushing. Replaced bushing and still had the same issue. Then 4th went. Took it to a shop and they pulled the tranny. It was my gear sleeves. They looked and so did I but their imposssible to find so I had to put another tranny in from lkq. Cost 3k. Hope it ain't that.