Clutch problem, 2004 Vibe GT

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
KJones

Clutch problem, 2004 Vibe GT

Post by KJones »

Hey all, picked this car up about a year and a half ago and the dealer had just put a clutch in it. Lately the clutch has been slipping under even moderate acceleration. No smells/sounds, and slipping seems worse at low rpm acceleration in 3rd/4th.

Is it possible that this could be an adjustment problem? If not are clutches that short-lived on this car? Perhaps the dealer had something cheap put in.

So what next? Any recommendations for good Vibe mechanics in the Pontiac Michigan area? And/or anyone out there that can recommend the type of clutch parts that last in this car if there are some that are much better or some to avoid?

Any other thoughts appreciated too.

Thanks,
KJ
thebarber

Re: Clutch problem, 2004 Vibe GT

Post by thebarber »

make sure its the clutch and not the tires spinning

neverenoughauto in grand rapids is good...theyre old school vibe/matrix supporters from waaay back

id get an ACT street clutch, personally. id also get a fidanza flywheel and ARP flywheel bolts while you're in there

id bet that the dealer put in cheapy parts
KJones

Post by KJones »

Thanks for the quick reply!

Not tires spinning for sure. Dont know of anything else would slip under power cept for the clutch.

Grand Rapids is 2.5 hours from here, assuming the clutch holds out. Have an aunt there I could visit but would hate to take it back for any probs.

What are advantages of the ACT street clutch? Any downsides other than probably cost?

Why would I want to swap out the flywheel and upgrade the bolts?

I agree with the cheapie parts, 25K miles is too short for any clutch.

KJ
triz

Post by triz »

Unless it was seriously abused, you can get over 100k out of a stock clutch. Unless your modding your car stick with a factory clutch. ActHD if you want to upgrade. The flywheel is more of a fun factor and quicker shifts (you must learn to shift faster) again not needed unless you want to.

If it was a general dealership and not a GM dealer it is a possibility they tossed low grade parts in it.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
KJones

Post by KJones »

Done some homework and thread searching, FWIW. Leaning towards an ACT TC2-SPSS and resurfacing the stock flywheel. I want high quality with the stock pedal pressure and stock engagement. It's my wife's daily driver and making it harder to clutch or grabbier is not a recommended course of action. The ACT TC2-HDSS is tempting but I don't want to risk the increase in pedal pressure - have not seen any posts about that specific clutch but ACT lists the SPSS as "stock to low pedal feel, smooth engagement with stock to low gear rattle" and the HDSS as "low to moderate...".

Any recommendations for a source? May go through Amazon with GummyGrip.

KJ
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Contact Garm or Jeff at http://www.microimageonline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Id suggest calling for a price
KJones

Post by KJones »

TY Barber: Say, what are your thoughts on SPSS vs HDSS?

Jeff quoted me $410 for HDSS, $360 for the SPSS. Good prices, bout $30 less on the HDSS than Monkeywrench which I found is not far from me here. Tax saves another $25 or so but I will see if Monkeywrench will haggle as I am picking up bolts SS lines and fluid from them, along with a resurfaced flywheel.

Local shop quoted me $650 for labor, ouch :o ! Looking to get this done next week but will try to see if any better shop option presents itself...

KJ
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

KJones wrote:TY Barber: Say, what are your thoughts on SPSS vs HDSS?

Jeff quoted me $410 for HDSS, $360 for the SPSS. Good prices, bout $30 less on the HDSS than Monkeywrench which I found is not far from me here. Tax saves another $25 or so but I will see if Monkeywrench will haggle as I am picking up bolts SS lines and fluid from them, along with a resurfaced flywheel.

Local shop quoted me $650 for labor, ouch :o ! Looking to get this done next week but will try to see if any better shop option presents itself...

KJ
id see what mar can do for the labour end of it too...maybe you can get a package deal

id go HDSS, personally, but if you were mainly stock and don't drive hard, id save the $50 and get the SPSS
KJones

Post by KJones »

TY again Barber, MWR does wrenching and is $100 less than local shop. Can't find anyone anywhere that has rated them as a shop though. They are pushing a Competition clutch for a stock GT, not sure if they said ST1 or ST2 now.