2009 Vibe GT Cold Air Intake upgrade

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Dairgo

2009 Vibe GT Cold Air Intake upgrade

Post by Dairgo »

Like several Second Gen Vibe owners, I am cautiously mulling over putting in a CAI into my vehicle, though I have some question a for those that have.

So... the Parts:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C4SLH2/ref ... TTZW27DUMY
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZQUQ40/ref ... HKYD7SLSPT
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00353G1SY/ref ... Z5AMRG7Y1B

Runs me up to about $320 for the K&N CAI, an AEM DRYFLOW Filter and the AEM filter wrap.
I've heard good things from others about dryflow filters, not to mention I've experienced it myself with the over oiling of the K&N filters on my previous vehicle. So... the dry filter doesn't seem like a bad idea.

All that I've read points to this being a fairly easy/painless swap. Are there any sticking points that I should know about before I do this? Does the ecu need to be tuned to make use of the extra 9 - 10 hp that it's going to get from this upgrade, or is the stock ECU going to handle this just fine?

Thanks in advance for any advice / pointers.
Raven

Re: 2009 Vibe GT Cold Air Intake upgrade

Post by Raven »

No need to do anything to the ECU. It can't be tuned anyways.
I don't think you'll see anywhere near 10 hp from just a CAI no matter what the company propaganda says.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

We have had that exact setup on both our 2009 GTs for almost 4 years now without issue. I highly recommend it. As Raven said, I doubt the horsepower increase provided is 9-10, but we have seen a steady 1-2 MPG increase in our gas mileage once we got over the initial phase of stepping on the gas to hear the new engine sound :P. If nothing else, it will make your GT sound good without being too loud and obnoxious like an aftermarket exhaust can be. Installation is very straightforward and easy. As far as the computer goes, just be sure to disconnect the negative battery cable before starting the installation and re-connect it after the installation is complete. This will re-set the computer so it can adjust to the new intake. Other than that, there is nothing that needs to be done. Keep us updated on whether you go through with the purchase and install and if you do, be sure and post some pictures ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Dairgo

Post by Dairgo »

Will be sure to read and follow the instructions when the parts arrive. Placed the order on the 20th, should all be here no later than the 28th. Once it's all here, I'll post some pics of before and after. And on the subject of gas mileage... well sort of, a two parter here... How do you all keep track of your mileage since the stock DIC (Dashboard Information Center) does nothing (loved that about the '06 monte I traded in), and part 2... My Speedometer is off by and increasing increments when traveling more than 30mph, to the point when I'm doing 65 (as noted by my GPS, and by those speed check cameras on the sides of the road) my speedo reads 70, is this known, and fixable? And yes... I have the stock tire size on for the '09 Vibe GT.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Looking forward to seeing the before and after pictures once you get everything installed!

I use MPG Tune to keep track of our gas mileage.

I don't know what to tell you about the speedometer being off other than many others here have mentioned having the same issue and I know we experience it with both our Vibes as well. I don't worry about it though. I've read on here that it's normal and many different vehicles actually have the same issue.
Dairgo

Post by Dairgo »

Well just putting a small update in.

Received my purchases finally. Was getting started following the instructions, but got stopped at the EVAP solenoid.

A) it appears the screw securing the bracket to the EVAP solenoid is stripped (going to try later with a pair of locking pliers to twist it out)

B) how does one disconnect the EVAP solenoid from the original intake tube? by just removing the brackets? It appears to be stuck to the side of the tube with the pin pushed through the rubber jutting from the side. I feel as though if I remove or break that, that there is no going back. Anyone remember this step when they put on their intake? any insight?
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Dairgo wrote: How do you all keep track of your mileage since the stock DIC (Dashboard Information Center) does nothing
I use MPGTune.com and here's a link to my statistics .............. http://www.mpgtune.com/fillupHistory.php?carId=4740" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dairgo wrote: My Speedometer is off by and increasing increments when traveling more than 30mph, to the point when I'm doing 65 (as noted by my GPS, and by those speed check cameras on the sides of the road) my speedo reads 70, is this known, and fixable?
OK, this is known ONLY by those who have something to compare the factory speedo against. For me I have the ScanGauge2 and also have a Garmin GPS and both of them are about 7-8% lower than what the factory analog speedo shows. Fixable ??? I highly doubt it. I too still have the original stock tires so that is not an issue.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Dairgo wrote:Well just putting a small update in.

Received my purchases finally. Was getting started following the instructions, but got stopped at the EVAP solenoid.

A) it appears the screw securing the bracket to the EVAP solenoid is stripped (going to try later with a pair of locking pliers to twist it out)

B) how does one disconnect the EVAP solenoid from the original intake tube? by just removing the brackets? It appears to be stuck to the side of the tube with the pin pushed through the rubber jutting from the side. I feel as though if I remove or break that, that there is no going back. Anyone remember this step when they put on their intake? any insight?
I use a small flathead screwdriver to pop the EVAP solenoid out of the rubber thing that attaches it to the intake tube. As far as the screw goes, I just secured ours with a zip tie wrapped around the bracket that attaches to the side of the engine block. Much easier then trying to screw together five different things with one little tiny screw!
Dairgo

Post by Dairgo »

Well, made the trip home for Easter and Birthdays, and made the trade in services with my Brother in-law (he's more mechanically inclined as he is rebuilding a 1966 Impala, and I cleaned up his laptops of Viruses and unwanted software). We got that stubborn stuck screw out of the EVAP solenoid, and then had no trouble getting the new intake installed. Purrs good now, and yeah, it pulls real good between 3k and 4k rpm, and makes a nice growl. It's no 3.9L v6 that I had in the '06 Monte Carlo, but on the upside, it isn't losing parts left and right like that was at 150k miles, ran good, sounded good, but was eating monthly payments once it was paid off.

Oh.. and heres the pictures.http://s276.photobucket.com/user/ijegge ... r%20Intake

Went with the AEM Dryflow filter, and the Air filter wrap to prevent any water/mud/gunk getting on the filter. I've had K&N filters before, and have over oiled it, and it did cause issues (I know... use less oil next time, but why bother to take the chance when I can eliminate the problem). Anyone need a K&N filter for their intake?
Last edited by Dairgo on Sat May 03, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Glad to hear you finally got the intake installed and are enjoying it! Pictures look great ;)!
Dairgo

Post by Dairgo »

And as others have mentioned... I'll let you know what the mileage is at some point, once I stop listening to the sound of my intake.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Dairgo wrote:And as others have mentioned... I'll let you know what the mileage is at some point, once I stop listening to the sound of my intake.
:lol:

I still find myself stepping on the gas every so often just to hear the sound of the intake! It never gets old :D!
Beyerdynamic

Post by Beyerdynamic »

I'm also looking to put this on the 09' vibe GT I just got. With this kit do you need to make any modifications for it to fit? Or does it clamp in easily? Everywhere I look online doesn't technically sell a CAI kit for the 09 vibe.
trb

Post by trb »

Beyerdynamic wrote:I'm also looking to put this on the 09' vibe GT I just got. With this kit do you need to make any modifications for it to fit? Or does it clamp in easily? Everywhere I look online doesn't technically sell a CAI kit for the 09 vibe.
Really is a pretty easy install if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. No mods necessary as you just remove the old ducting and unbolt the airbox and install the new parts, along with swapping over the air meter to the new air intake. It took me probably 30-45 min total to install it.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Beyerdynamic

Post by Beyerdynamic »

Awesome thank you!!
Beyerdynamic

Post by Beyerdynamic »

Also, have any of you guys also put a throttle body spacer into an 09 vibe? If so, any recommendations on a kit? Seems like an easy install for a non experienced car guy, but I could certainly be wrong.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Beyerdynamic wrote:Also, have any of you guys also put a throttle body spacer into an 09 vibe? If so, any recommendations on a kit? Seems like an easy install for a non experienced car guy, but I could certainly be wrong.
I don't know of any 2009-2010 owners here who have installed a throttle body spacer on their Vibe. I don't even know of any company that makes one that would work (of course I haven't even looked for one). You may want to check out Matrix Owners, as the members over there are more into those types of mods. The members here pretty much just have an intake and maybe a Magnaflow catback exhaust (like me :D!) on their Vibe and that's about it.