'09 GT Oil Consumption

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
09vGT

'09 GT Oil Consumption

Post by 09vGT »

A month or so ago I was leaving to go to a friends house and noticed my "oil pressure" light illuminated for about three seconds and then went off after I backed out. I continued to leave my apartment complex and it came on again, three seconds, and then went back off. It would illuminate off and on for the remainder of the five mile drive, only when turning or accelerating and stopping. I checked the oil once I arrived and it was bone dry, at least on the stick. I added three quarts of oil.

I was overdue on an oil change. I normally go 5,000 miles, but this particular time I had gone almost 6,000. I immediately called the dealer, who changes my oil, and scheduled an appointment. The service manager told me that there were no obvious leaks and to keep an eye on it. Shortly after getting the oil changed, I floored it to merge into traffic and nothing happened. It just very slowly accelerated, no increase in RPM. I let off and did it again; this time it kicked slightly and took off. Something similar happened again a couple of weeks ago. I again floored it to merge into traffic and it took it's sweet time, though more acceleration than the previous time. I let off and floored it again and it took off. Almost to my house, at a stop light, I accelerated after the light turned green and it was "kicking", three distinctive times, like it was going to die.

I checked the oil a week ago or so with around 1,000 miles and its dropped about a half inch on the dipstick.

After posting my issue on Genvibe's Facebook group, I see oil consumption is a fairly common issue with these 2.4 liter motors with high(er) mileage. I'm at 121,000 miles and no CEL. This is getting very aggravating. I bought the car in July '09 with 2X,XXX miles and have babied it since so I don't know what's going on. :x

Keep an eye on your oil.

***EDIT***

The car was build in April of 2008, so its an early model for sure.

My gas mileage is also subpar, though this has been pretty consistent in the last couple of years and getting worse as time goes on.
Last edited by 09vGT on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
tpollauf

Re: '09 GT Oil Consumption

Post by tpollauf »

OK. So I can UNFORTUNATELY relate to this story. Juniors Vibe GT (the Blue one in my sig) we bought used at almost 36k miles back in April 2011, and got it for a good price at the time. Anyways I immediately changed the oil upon taking ownership and put in the 4 quarts plus of Mobil 1. We did not quite make it to the 6000 interval when his oil light came on intermittently. I was a bit surprised that this happened seeing that the car was only a couple years old and still at a low mileage. Anyways, just like Ethan's situation. it was 2-3 quarts low ans had to top it off. Let's fast forward to today (literally TODAY 3-6-2014). Just went out to check his oil out of curiosity and the dipstick was bone dry :x Two quarts brought it back up to full where it should be. His current mileage is 51788 and the last oil change was done @ 48105 back on 8-14-2013. So in 3700 miles it drank 2 quarts of oil ..... NOT GOOD :twisted: There are no leaks of it anywhere on the car and no sign of smoke when it's running! His Vibe GT was built May, 2008 so maybe this is common to some of the early built Vibes with the larger 2.4L engine. We too are now keeping an eye on it
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

I do 5,000 mile oil changes as well and typically I put in one quart around 2,500 and it's due for another by the time I change it. I don't have any performance issues, though, and no oil leaks so it's just getting "consumed" however it is that happens. I've really never given it a second thought since this is pretty much par for the course on all my previous cars. My wife's Grand Caravan slurps down a quart every 1,000 miles and according to Chrysler this is normal and expected. :|
Image  Image
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Hmmmmm. Raven1, what mileage is your Vibe currently at and when did you start noticing the oil consumption? One other thing to add that has not been normal the past two winters, is the TERRIBLE mileage Junior's Vibe Gt has been getting. Since Thanksgiving his MPG's have been: 21.6, 22.9, 20.3, 20.8, 21.1, 18.7, 20.6, 20.3, and 21.5. Granted this has been the snowiest and very close to the coldest winter here on record for the Ohio/Michigan area and cold start-ups have been running a bit longer than normal. Still the prior winters averaged 23 MPG so I'll have to closely watch for any changes here also.

Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

There have been excessive oil issues with the 2.4 engine that was installed in many 2008 and 2009 (maybe even 2010 as well) model Toyotas, Scions and the Vibe. (You can do an excessive oil use search on the Scion Xb as an example of the issues). I believe Toyota solved the issues starting in 2010 and later model 2.4s.
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

tpollauf wrote:Hmmmmm. Raven1, what mileage is your Vibe currently at and when did you start noticing the oil consumption? One other thing to add that has not been normal the past two winters, is the TERRIBLE mileage Junior's Vibe Gt has been getting. Since Thanksgiving his MPG's have been: 21.6, 22.9, 20.3, 20.8, 21.1, 18.7, 20.6, 20.3, and 21.5. Granted this has been the snowiest and very close to the coldest winter here on record for the Ohio/Michigan area and cold start-ups have been running a bit longer than normal. Still the prior winters averaged 23 MPG so I'll have to closely watch for any changes here also.
My mileage is about that, too Tim.
meidou

Post by meidou »

I believe the same engine was found in the 3rd gen Rav 4 and there was a recall on premature wear on the seals in the pistons.
Here is the TSB link : http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2011/T-SB-0094-11.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

tpollauf wrote:Hmmmmm. Raven1, what mileage is your Vibe currently at and when did you start noticing the oil consumption?
I'm at 114k now. I bought it at 98k a year ago in January and it's been that way since I bought it. Hasn't gotten worse (or better). Mileage is the same.. 28ish when I baby it, 26ish when I don't on a 60/40 city/hwy route.
Image  Image
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

meidou wrote:I believe the same engine was found in the 3rd gen Rav 4 and there was a recall on premature wear on the seals in the pistons.
Here is the TSB link : http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2011/T-SB-0094-11.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Man, even Toyota is miserly on oil consumption issues...
TSB wrote:6. Determine the quantity of oil that was consumed in 1,200 miles.
Was the oil level more than 1 quart low after 1,200 miles of normal driving?
• YES — Go to the Repair Procedure.
• NO — This TSB does NOT apply. Warranty guideline for acceptable oil consumption is
1 quart per 1,200 miles of operation. No warranty claim should be filed.
Image  Image
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

meidou wrote:I believe the same engine was found in the 3rd gen Rav 4 and there was a recall on premature wear on the seals in the pistons.
Interesting that there was no mention of the Vibe. Then again, it came from Toyota so why include an American car which just happened to use one of their engines! I wonder if we'll see a TSB from GM about this? Not holding my breath :x

Hmmmm ... I guess if Junior owns his Vibe for the long haul, we'll have a major father/son project ahead for us ;) Don't know if this can be done with the engine mounted in the car or not. Oh well, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

SconnieVibe

Post by SconnieVibe »

Do we know for sure exactly what engine matches the engine in the 2009 vibe 2.4L? I am thinking of buying one of these and this might influence my decision.
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

tpollauf wrote:We did not quite make it to the 6000 interval when his oil light came on intermittently. .... it was 2-3 quarts low ans had to top it off.
5000+ miles without checking the oil level? No one to blame but yourself.
Running 2-3 quarts low means the remaining oil has to work very hard and hold more contaminants, accelerating engine wear and increasing consumption.
Somewhere in the manual it says to check the oil at every fill up, but I think every 1000 miles is reasonable.
Mine uses about a cup of oil in 5000 miles, but I still check the level every 1000 miles.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Nasmfell wrote:There have been excessive oil issues with the 2.4 engine that was installed in many 2008 and 2009 (maybe even 2010 as well) model Toyotas, Scions and the Vibe. (You can do an excessive oil use search on the Scion Xb as an example of the issues). I believe Toyota solved the issues starting in 2010 and later model 2.4s.
My 2009 Vibe with the 2.4L engine and auto......was also assembled in May 2008....took ownership June 22, 2008. I have been using Mobel I 0w20 grade. I have very very low milage...at 13000 plus. I am changing the oil every other year or 5000 which every is first. I did notice a very slight drop from the full mark last week.
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

Here is the Toyota TSB on the oil burning issue. Apparently, it is "normal" to burn a quart of oil in 1200 miles. Seems excessive to me.

http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2011/T-SB-0094-11.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;