larger injectors

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
robertinsandiego1

larger injectors

Post by robertinsandiego1 »

hello gentlemen. I'm a complete noob when it comes to upgrade in my car I do however know my way around it somewhat can change the plugs oil etc have a cold air intake yada yada. I'm looking at putting in some larger injectors in the car and would love some information on what types size 6 cetera work best. I have been reading that people are only using for injectors rather than 5 I'm looking at this possibility I do have a good mechanic that can help me in this process as I just need the parts and direction. Thank you for your time I do not have a unique or anything else seriously modded to the engine at this point I'm just starting from the ground up will post pictures soon again thank you guys Robert
Salsa Guy

Re: larger injectors

Post by Salsa Guy »

What year and model?
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
robertinsandiego1

2006 vibe base izz manual. Work in progress. Website links are appre iated im new to the site. Tnx man.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Larger injectors won't gain you much if anything. If you were installing a Super charger or a Turbo then it would worth it.
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
robertinsandiego1

Tnx forbur input. Still looking for betyer prformance then the stock pos injectors. I heard the celicabones work for the vibe jusy need to know where to get them n sizes thay will fit 06 vibe. Tnx
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

A little better spelling would help. I'm really clueless as to what are saying. Over a few days the ECU/PCM will adjust your fuel trims for a larger injector. Bigger injectors will get you no where unless you can increase air flow. Even with an Intake, Headers and Exhaust the stock injectors will work fine and only gain about 15HP. If you get a piggy back computer and dyno time you may get that to 20HP.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Larger injectors wont do anything for performance unless you are running some sort of boost, whether its a turbo or supercharger or even NOS. The stock injectors should be good up to a certain amount of HP ( what it is exactly I dont know ) ...then you would have a justification to change them. We have Vibe owners here that have supercharged 1ZZ engines & still running stock injectors. If you are just doing some basic bolt-ons there is absolutely no need to change out injectors. Save your money ;) there is a GREAT thread for the best bolt on for the Vibe do a search & check it out before you spend any $$$$ :mrgreen: Good luck !!!
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Changing the injectors themselves is a simple process, but there is a lot more to it than that. Do your research first, make a plan, and we'll help you iron out the details.

BTW: the five injector setup on the GM/Toyota supercharger kit is a hack job. GM/Toyota was trying to save money by adding an injector instead of changing the OEM ones for properly sized injectors.

When upgrading injectors you need to know how much flow you need for your projected output.
The 1ZZ-FE injectors are rated at 255 cc/min
The 2ZZ-FE injectors are rated at 310 cc/min

The only reason to upgrade injectors is because the engine is making so much power the current injectors can't keep the air/fuel ratio right. When changing injectors the Computer (ECU) must be tuned properly for the added fuel flow.
The computer knows how much fuel the engine needs at every RPM in the rev range. If you change from the 255cc's to the 310cc's it adds ~20% more fuel and no more air. This screws up the Air/Fuel ratio, and makes the engine run very rich.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
robertinsandiego1

That makes complete sense to me. I will lookninto my options and check back in. I really appreciate your knowledge and time Salsa. Thank you. Be in touch.

Rob
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

SeattleJeremy wrote: BTW: the five injector setup on the GM/Toyota supercharger kit is a hack job. GM/Toyota was trying to save money by adding an injector instead of changing the OEM ones for properly sized injectors.
Awwww NO! The 5th injector on the TRD SC serves 3 functions. 1) A simple way of adding to the stock injectors. 2) Helps cool the SC. 3) Help lubricate the SC. 2 and 3 are important for the roots style TRD SC.

I'd always suggest to to anyone installing the TRD SC is to keep the 5th injector and and if not using the TRD ECU have your tuner set up the piggy back to control it. Yes it's harder BUT the results and long term health of the SC will be better. Also NEVER use meth on the 5th injector it will destroy the it.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Read this too:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19315" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
triz

Post by triz »

A couple of guys on Spyderchat have had some success with a MAF/Injector mod. They run the yellow injectors off the 2zz add a spacer to the MAF. Don't see why you couldn't duplicate it on the Vibe.

http://www.spyderchat.com/forums/showth ... 30-MAF-mod
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Salsa Guy wrote:
SeattleJeremy wrote: BTW: the five injector setup on the GM/Toyota supercharger kit is a hack job. GM/Toyota was trying to save money by adding an injector instead of changing the OEM ones for properly sized injectors.
Awwww NO! The 5th injector on the TRD SC serves 3 functions. 1) A simple way of adding to the stock injectors. 2) Helps cool the SC. 3) Help lubricate the SC. 2 and 3 are important for the roots style TRD SC.

I'd always suggest to to anyone installing the TRD SC is to keep the 5th injector and and if not using the TRD ECU have your tuner set up the piggy back to control it. Yes it's harder BUT the results and long term health of the SC will be better. Also NEVER use meth on the 5th injector it will destroy the it.
I didn't realize the 5th injector would also cool and lubricate the supercharger. Thanks for clearing that up.

On the other hand with a non-supercharged car, such as robertinsandiego1 car, implementing a 5th injector would be a waste.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT