MU4 vs MU5 trans

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Ellington

MU4 vs MU5 trans

Post by Ellington »

Is there a difference between the mu4 and mu5 transmissions? I put a trans put of a matrix on my vibe and wondering if I need the matrix computer to make it run right. Dealers are saying you can't flash my original computer.
KITT222

Re: MU4 vs MU5 trans

Post by KITT222 »

I think that the MU5 transmission is the automatic transaxle/transfer case for the AWD models. I really don't know how your car will act with that instead of the MU4 if it is a FWD model.

EDIT: You can't run your FWD car with the MU5 transmission. You'll fry it if all three outputs (one to each front wheel and the driveshaft to the rear) don't have a load. the MU4 automatic transmission is fitted in every from the Vibe base to Matrix base and Matrix XR to the Corolla (years 2003-2008) and maybe possibly the 00-03 Celica GT. It shouldn't be hard to find a replacement.
Ellington

Post by Ellington »

Thanks. Found a dealer that is going to reflag my computer.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Like Kitt said you don't want the MU5 on a FWD car. The CV joints are different and I'm pretty sure you can't mount the MU5 to a standard FWD 1zz block.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop