Recommendations on a CEL Code Reader for 2003 Vibe

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
rloftus

Recommendations on a CEL Code Reader for 2003 Vibe

Post by rloftus »

I have a 2003 base model Vibe with 102,000 miles on it. The check engine light has been coming on intermittently and I'm going out to buy myself a code reader, so I can start taking care of more of these things myself. I was hoping to find out which code reader works best with the Vibe.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a make or model of Code Reader that you've used personally and have had accurate results with? Should I look for a code reader that is compatible with Toyota, Chevrolet, GMAC, or do I need one that specifically names Pontiac?

Regarding the check engine light: I took it to my regular mechanic who put the car on his code reader and it threw a code suggesting I have a bad purge valve on my Evaporative Emissions Canister. I've seen instructions on how to replace the purge valve on the canister online but I've never attempted this type of job on my own. Is it simple enough that a relative beginner should attempt it?
JohnO

Re: Recommendations on a CEL Code Reader for 2003 Vibe

Post by JohnO »

I have one of these:

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will read the OBDII codes and works as a gauge that you can use to monitor any parameters that are accessible with OBDII while you drive. Since it is designed to be used as a gauge, you always have it available in the car to read codes. It can also monitor your gas mileage as well.

The Vibe is pure Toyota as far as the electronics go, so you don't need GM compatibility, just Toyota. Most code readers are designed to read the generic OBDII codes which are the same across all brands. Some manufacturers also use proprietary codes in addition to the generic ones and you would need a specific reader to get the proprietary codes. As far as I know, Toyota doesn't do that.

The next step up from a simple code reader would be one that can monitor and graph the OBDII parameters while the engine runs. This gives added usefulness in diagnosing the engine, but doubles or more the cost of the reader.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

You can buy code readers from $15 to $300. I have a cheapo code reader that just spits out codes and can reset the CELs. I have another one that Plugs into my PC that reads all kinds of values and tells me what the codes mean.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
kaflex

Post by kaflex »

if you're still looking, prob. not due to the age of op. I have a cheap $15 one from amazon.com that connects to my phone via bluetooth. There are free apps that could be used to read the adapter. I started using Torque Lite, it's free from the google playstore. It gave me all info I needed, about different systems, not just giving me codes. I like it so much I bought the Pro verison $5.

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;